Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do I Have *both* Firefox 2.0.0.3 And 2.0.0.2 In My Add/remove Programs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Hi,

I was using Firefox 2.0.0.2 when the 2.0.0.3 version came out. I know there were problems with the update at first, and when the update window popped up in Firefox for me to update, I told it to update. I don't remember if that actually updated, or if nothing happened and I went to the site and manually downloaded the .exe for 2.0.0.3 and installed it that way. Either way, I did not remove 2.0.0.2 first (since, as far as I know, that has never been the procedure -- you could always just install the new one over the old one).

When I did update, and it said that I had to restart Firefox for it to take effect, I did so. But it showed that I still had 2.0.0.2. So I restarted Firefox again -- same thing. So I restarted my computer. Same thing. Then, like 20 minutes later, when I happened to have restarted Firefox for whatever reason, the update took effect and I got the box that said "updating Firefox" or whatever, then it showed as 2.0.0.3. I have no idea why it took that long to actually update/install.

1. First, any thoughts on that? (I know there were issues when the update first was released, and I didn't realize it had just been released, otherwise I would have waited a few days or so.)

--------------------------------------------

So now, after a number of weeks, I notice that in my add/remove programs list, I have both Firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 listed!

2. Why would this be? Shouldn't the new one have installed over the old one?

3. Does having that 2.0.0.2 version still there make my computer vulnerable to anything? (When I check the version of Firefox in the browser, it says 2.0.0.3.)

4. Should I uninstall the 2.0.0.2 in add/remove programs? If so, will that have an effect on 2.0.0.3 at all? Could I lose my settings/bookmarks/etc.?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

See this thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=533851. You posted the same question over there at Mozilla.org.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, last time I posted there, I got no response, so I posted here as well this time.

Question answered over there (for the most part).

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, last time I posted there, I got no response, so I posted here as well this time.

Question answered over there (for the most part).

Thanks!

The registry edit works quite well. I followed the directions and the problem was corrected. No need to uninstall.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, I'd rather not mess with the registry, I don't think. I mean, uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't hurt anything, right? (And apparently all your settings are kept -- though I'll backup just to be safe.)

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

Your Firefox settings are kept in your Mozilla Profile, which is separate from the browser itself; you can therefore delete and install Firefox without fear of your settings and bookmarks disappearing.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Uninstalled and reinstalled -- no issues. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users