Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Programs On Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GuyM

GuyM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:40 AM

I have just bought a new laptop that has Vista pre-loaded. I have loaded on the additional software that I had on disk, but one of them MS Money does not run, so I need to re-install.

When I try to repair, uninstall or reinstall the program I get a message blocking the process that refers me to the System administrator. This is very strange as I have Administrator set up on the user name that I am using for the uninstall.

Any suggestions how I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:40 AM

Vista runs as a Standard User unless you elevate the program that's running. There's several ways to do this, but it depends on how the program installs.

Is the MSMoney a version that's compatible with Vista? If so, it should run without issues.

If it's not, try right clicking on the installer's executable (the file that ends in .exe or .msi) and select "Run in XP SP2 compatibility mode" and "Run as administrator". If "Run as administrator" is greyed out, then right click on the file itself and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 GuyM

GuyM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Thanks John, that did the trick.

Guy

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Glad it worked for you!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:25 AM

Hi usasma.
I run a highly customised Vista, suited to my own requirements (and a hangover from Beta testing days) I have noticed on other postings, and in yours above, that when you right click you have the option to run in compatibilty mode. To get the same option, I need to select properties and THEN the compatibility option. It is obvious from the original poster, that your suggestion worked for him -- comment?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:04 AM

I may have misstated this - I can right click and select "Run as Administrator", but not Compatibility mode. I get into compatibility mode the same way that you do - through the Properties.

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

Sighs of relief!!! Thank god for that!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users