Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Crashed, No Os

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayWiz

JayWiz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:52 AM

A few months ago, my Panasonic CF-27 crashed. I had Windows98 until some files got corrupted while I was installing files using only my Floppy Drive. I've been up till 11:00PM downloading OS's clogging up my 10GB HD. I'm getting so tired, I think I might just toss it and buy another trustworthy Laptop, or figure out how to get an OS Installation only useing a Modemcard.

Can I install WindowsME, better OS, with a large amounts of floppies? Or should I buy Windows95 off EBay?
Or can I use my Desktop to transfer its OS to my formatted laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

I would test out a few linux distrobutions depending on what distro you will like. Also there is free versions of DOS, Unix and I am pretty sure other OSes. If you are looking for a linux distrobution goto http://www.google.com/linux Search PCLOS, SUSE, SLAX, UBUNTU, KUBUNTU or many others.

-Steve

Hope I helped.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

Any version of Windows that you download from the Internet is bootleg. Possibly crippled or virus laden.

ME is considered the "Mistake Edition", 98 is considerably better.
Checking the Panasonic site, they do not have drivers for ME for the CF-27.

1. No. The cab files are in "Distribution Media Format". They are too big to fit onto floppies.
2. Dont bother with 95. Most software wont work with it anymore.
3. Windows isnt DOS. You cannot copy it from one system to another. Every installed version is different. Files get built during install that are system specific.

Best bet might be to buy 98SE from EBay
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

Is this Pansonic CF27 Toughbook what you have? If it is you can install more RAM, 256mb for W2000 Pro, or 512mb for XP, and upgrade to a more reliable system. I personally would run Windows 2000 Pro with 512mb of RAM. It is bullet proof and chews up much less resources than XP home, media Ed. or Pro.
You have a nice notebook for most anything but gaming and video editing.
IMHO

EDIT: How much RAM do you have?

Edited by acklan, 04 April 2007 - 05:18 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Without more info about your CPU speed and RAM it's tough to tell. If you are at or below 300mhz CPU speed and / or 128 mbRAM, you are going to have a tough time getting anything but W9x, me or 2000 to run on it.

Linux would be a good choice, but like Wxp, it will require 256mbRAM to function properly. There are some Linux distributions that will run on 32mbRAM.If you are used to Windows however, they will be a different world for you, but if you are adventurous..............

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users