Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaners? Causing Problems?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:03 AM

Well from experience, I have read your lucky to get 2%-3% improvement when you run registry cleaners, I have been taught to run a few antispyware programs, defrag your pc 3 times a year, and maybe clean up whats running on startup.

My printer is connected to 4 Computers... My Modem is also connected to 4 computers. One day I wanted to try out-
Registry Mechanic
Tuneup Utilites
Winoptimizer

Ran them all... 2 months later "Printer cant print"

I cant believe it. I now learned my lesson...Registry cleaners don't do ANYTHING!

I need help, I uninstalled all these pcs, I tried uninstallig and reinstalling my printer (Now the printer cant be found on the local network) ?? So I REALLY don't want to spend another 100 dollars on getting a IT guy in and reformatting my computer.

How do I know these Registry Cleaners and Utilities programs are causing this problem? Because the other 3 computers work fine... Only running Spybot & Ad-aware +Zonealarm Security Suite.

Sorry for taking this so vaguely, I do need help and I warn others to becareful when you do run clean up programs etc, that those programs do NOT actually wipe out your registry too!

Thanks...

Josh.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaydee

Jaydee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:18 AM

I would make sure that the printer is set up to be shared. More detail on the printer would be better for me to decide what to do. what steps have you done so far with the printer?

#3 chapo

chapo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:18 AM

Not all Registry Cleaners cause problems you just have to be careful of which ones you run on your computer. Some good ones out there are Registry Optimizer and RegCleaner, Registy Supreme. Also to uninstall programs see if you can get you hands on a demo copy of your unistaller this program lets you uninstall the program(successfully) and also cleans the registry out for you. Its Pure Geneis when you put it that way. This program has save plenty of people out there from having to reload their intire operating system. If you cant me and a buddy of mine are palnning to build an ftp server which we will be putting on all these tools. This is a link to an older version of your unistaller hope it works for you.

http://www.shareup.com/your-uninstaller.html

#4 chapo

chapo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:22 AM

Another thing that I almost forgot its not really recommended that you run multiple antivirus programs at once they conflict with eachother creating software issues. And what type of printer do you have it would help in the solution.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

Most users would do well to avoid registry cleaners as they do the plague. Not only are the criteria/algorithms they use suspect because extremely general, but because they manipulate the all-important registry, they can do serious harm to your operating system or applications that run on top of it because users of registry cleaners seldom take the time to research each and every recommended deletion.
Again, the "improvement" to your computer's operation is minimal compared to the risks involved, and there are certainly more useful ways to improve performance that do not involve registry maintenance.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

I only use registry cleaners to help clean up some mess another program or driver has left in the registry. And then I only trust JV16 Power tools / RegSupreme.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users