Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fabricant

Fabricant

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hi...I'd appreciate some help with this. My computer has an AsusP4P800 SE motherboard, Pentium 4 @ 2400Mhz, 512MB of RAM with XP Home. The motherboard has a kind of dynamic fan control for the processor, so there is only a CPU fan, no case fans at all. It generally runs at a temperature around 60C.

It shut down abruptly yesterday and now appears to be dead. There was no burning smell and no visible sign of damage on the board. The CPU fan works and there is a green light on the mobo. I pulled the RAM to see if there were any beeps I could identify, but nothing happened. With the RAM out, there were no beeps, just the CPU fan spinning. The hard drive seems to have no activity.

Any ideas as to what might be happening would be appreciated.

TIA.

BTW, this is not virus-related. I'm a security expert in disguise. :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

Edited by Fabricant, 03 April 2007 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greyga

Greyga

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

Please note that I am not a computer whiz. But, I do know that hard drives can and will crash. It can be a conflict or a virus issue - either can make this happen. The symptoms sound like a bad drive. Is there any clicking sounds? A clue that the hard drive is fried. If you have another pc, change the hard drive settings as a slave and boot in the other pc. The ribbon leading to the drive of the second pc should have a slave connector in the middle marked "slave'. Then go to my computer once booted and see if you can access My document and other files you know were on your original drive. It should assign itself a drive letter. IE... d or e or even h or i, since the hard drive is usually C. If you can access the files from the drive the boot sector is gone and sometimes reformatting will fix the problem and sometimes it only prolongs the eventual fall of the hard drive. I have never learned how to but GRC.com sells a product called spinright. It is touted as being a very effective hard drive repair product. Before doing any of this I would backtrack to make sure it was not a simple mistake of loading two antivirus programs. That will cause it to lock up. Also if you have a Norton AV disk-old or new- you can use it for a boot disk. Try also the usual F8 functions to boot in safe mode or "last known good configuration." Try all the usual fixes before you try to work on the hard drive. I narrowly escaped losing all my pictures and music before I had to reformat. Also, the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. Ask everybody. Even a letter to Santa. Anybody who will give an opinion. Put together the best choices and go from there. I dont trust hard drives anymore. I burn everything i own, Sometimes two or three copies just to make sure.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

check your connections to the motherboard. As its not P.O.S.T.ing(Power On Self Test)which is controlled by the B.I.O.S(Basic Input/Output System). which is located on the Motherboard. It should POST without a Hard Drive. put it sounds like you've got a disconnected wire (happened to me once and I had the same issue) check where the Power Button connects to the Mother board

Sorry if this post seems very basic

Posted Image

#4 Fabricant

Fabricant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, Greyga.

It seems like the power doesn't even get to the hard drive. I can't hear it spinning anyway. There is a slave on it, so I'll remove that.

There is nothing on the monitor, like there is no video signal reaching it. There is no POST beep, no BIOS to access, nothing on the screen. Could it be the power supply? Maybe one of the rails ? It seems like the power is just getting to the CPU fan and no further.

#5 Fabricant

Fabricant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Posting at the same time, BlackSpyder. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check the connection and post back.

#6 Fabricant

Fabricant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:17 PM

Connections seem tight. Unhooked the slave drive as well. As I mentioned, it seems like the power is only getting as far as the CPU fan. Could a malfunctioning power supply cause this?

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

Connections seem tight. Unhooked the slave drive as well. As I mentioned, it seems like the power is only getting as far as the CPU fan. Could a malfunctioning power supply cause this?

Yes. You could start with unhooking everything but the bare essentials, ie CPU, RAM graphics card. You can check you power supply with a multimeter.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Fabricant

Fabricant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

Thanks, Mr Alpha. I'm dangerous when it comes to hardware. I think it might be best to take it to a professional.

#9 JohnDubya

JohnDubya

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

Definitely sounds like a power supply or motherboard issue if the computer isn't POSTing. Possibly the processor as well. I had a processor die on me, and it did what you are describing...except there was the beautiful, oh-so-sweet smell of burning computer parts. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users