Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Renew Ip Address Even After Releasing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scarnge

scarnge

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

I'm at wits end.
Here's the summary:
Cable internet through Comcast works fine on my laptop, but not on the desktop. The Motorola modem is plugged into my integrated ethernet card for the Nforce 570 slit A motherboard and XP SP1 OS.
I checked the status of the connection and it sends packets fine, but does not receive at all.
The IP address starts with 169. At the command prompt I released it and tried to renew but is says "socket not found."

Please help me. Ask if you need more info I have not thought to type.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

Reboot your computer and see if that helps.

Also, try using the inetwiz command.

Also, make sure that you don't have any firewalls running, just to make sure you can get online.

If all else fails, you may need to make sure that you have the ethernet drivers installed. If they are installed... reinstall them again, but 1st uninstall the ones that are installed.

After you get things rolling ok, it would be very good on your computer to upgrade the SP1 to SP2.

Edited by Walkman, 03 April 2007 - 10:04 PM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Look in the Device Manager and see if there is a X or ? next to the Network Adapter.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users