Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Switch User And Shutdown Issues?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

First of all, this problem comes about when I switch users. After I go to the welcome screen and switch users, the screen turns black, and then comes back with the windows xp logo and stops there for about two seconds. Then of course the logo disappears, replaced by the username and "loading your personal settings". Has anyone had this problem before? My computer is only a few months old and this is starting to annoy me. Overall system performance is great, and I do not have any spyware or viruses. This one issue is really annoying me.

Also, when I shut down, it says "logging off" and makes the log off noise. Then it says "windows is shutting down" as it should, but then when the screen turns black (usually signifying that the computer has shut down) instead the hard drive does not shut down immediately; it makes the "log off" sound again before it shuts down.

Any at all will be greatly appreciated.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

Hello,

If you go to start then run ant type services.msc find fast user switching, is it turned on?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

yes it is set to manual and is currently running
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:42 AM

You might want to try downloading http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en it should help.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

Unfortunately I have installed it and there has been no difference! Any other ideas?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

Lot's of issues with switching users and shutting down can be traced to corrupted video drivers. I'd suggest uninstalling yours, downloading the latest WHQL certified one's from the maker of the video chipset (typically nVidia, ATI, or Intel) and installing them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

where would I find my video driver?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

This link may be of use to you.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users