Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surf's up! (oh mannn how corny is THAT)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlueFury

BlueFury

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:04 AM

Surf's up as in terms of Internet Surfing... ~~~> :::numerous people slapping me for such a corny use of Surf's up:::: :thumbsup:

What I mean is that I was surfing the web for a good Firefox spyware program and I came upon a post from this forum... I had SpySweeper when I used IE, and it worked really good until I found Firefox after bleepin about how much I hated IE for so long. Spysweeper doesn't pick up spyware that I get when surfing the net with Firefox.

I think Spybot S&D is good spyware when using Firefox, but I dunno: I've resolved to use 2 spyware proggies to make sure I get them all, a free one and one that I pay for.

Does anyone know of a good Spyware prog that works "behind the scenes" when using Firefox like Spysweeper did when I was using IE? I'm not sure, but Spybot may be one of them.

Thanks for any input... :flowers:

Mod Edit: This has been moved to a more appropriate Forum. Where it can receive the attention it deserves. :trumpet:

Edited by scarlett, 11 January 2005 - 12:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:15 AM

SpywareBlaster from JavaCool works with Firefox and you should also install SpywareGuard from them as well.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

IMHO Spybot gets bumped from good to excellent with Firefox,
using the Advanced Mode. I use both FF & IE.

Several very good options in
  • Tools
  • Settings
I'd suggest some readin' of the helps.
Support forum for that program is net-integration.
I use
  • IE Tweaks
  • Host File
  • Browser Pages
  • BHO's
  • ActiveX
  • Winsock LSP's
  • Resident
  • System Internals (to a degree)
  • Process List
  • and particularly the System Startup
To keep an eye on all my online action...both browsers

BTW, if you use spywareGuard & Resident Tea Timer together it's kinda over-kill, IMO
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:35 AM

Good online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Basic security programs:
aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 BlueFury

BlueFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:27 AM

I had just downloaded MSN Anti-Spyware when I wrote the initial post, and after using it, I'm very impressed! It picked up stuff that no other spyware prog has ever picked up - the MSN proggie only searches where spyware is normally located, not every single frickin file like the other programs do. That's why it's so fast. I like it so far, but we'll see about that.

I found that Spyware Blaster blocks tracking cookies when I use Firefox, which is why I left it on my computer after trying it for a while.

Thanks for all of the input... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users