Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

I recently downloaded and ran the program Autoruns from here and together with the startup list header posted here I have cleaned up my PC a bit. However two programs explorer.exe and ctfmon.exe which according to the startup list are genuine but not necessary startup programs being designated (U), keep reattaching to startup every time I reboot. Is there another way to make sure that they do not reattach or is it indeed better just to leave them alone as they do not seem to use much resources either way.

On another tack I have just finished installing a new Epson D78 printer this morning and noticed that it had also attached to startup. I did a search on the startup list for( e_fatibge.exe) but there is no information available on it. It is used for a task bar icon called Epson Status Monitor 3. I seldom use a printer but have it available for when I do. Do I need this on startup or should I untick it in the Auto runs log?. Thanks for any advice regarding these questions.
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:19 AM

If you stop explorer.exe from running, you won't have a Desktop (it's the shell that runs your Desktop).

CTFMON.EXE isn't needed unless you use Alternative Text Input. But it's a bear to stop at times - give it a whirl but don't be surprised if it respawns.

Do you use the Epson Status Monitor in the system tray? Check it out and see if you want that extra load on your system. If not, then remove it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

The two programs explorer.exe and ctfmon.exe are very important and I would leave them alone.

The printer startup is the opposite. It is not needed at startup.

You did right by asking before deleting or removing something you weren't sure of.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:24 AM

To completely stop ctfmon.exe go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages, Details, Advanced, and check the box that says "Turn off advanced text services."

I don't think this always works as ctfmon is a persistent bugger.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

ctfmon.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Office Suite. I have it disabled so it won't run at startup and haven't had any problems because it is disabled. The only things I have enabled to run at startup are my antivirus and firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users