Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

Hi all, I have a friend that was downloading some software and the download was interrupted and didn't complete. He has tried the download again and gets an error message basically saying it can't download. He has tried to uninstall the partial download by going into search and removing everything associated with it, but there must still be bits of it there. Would Ccleaner clean up the rest of the failed download?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:37 AM

Did your friend try to install the program after the download was interrupted? If not then it may just be that the site they are trying to download from has gone down.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:56 AM

er...I did say that he had. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:01 AM

Did he tried to open/run it from the web? Which program was it?

There could be two options

Ccleaner please attend to below install/operating instructions :

Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

or Windows Install Clean Up Utility

Edited by fozzie, 03 April 2007 - 02:02 AM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

Did your friend try to remove the program using Add/Remove Programs from the control panel?

In CCleaner click Options, Advanced and tick Show prompt to backup registry issues. Then select Issues, Scan for issues. Tick any problems that relate to the program your having problems with, leave the others. Click Fix selected issues and then follow the prompts to fix the issues and create the backup. This may help.

Edit: fozzie beat me to it. His advice is sound.

Edited by Budapest, 03 April 2007 - 02:07 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:58 AM

Thanks guys, I have had Ccleaner for some time now, I just wasn't sure if it would work for this problem.

The program was The Sims: Complete Collection, he did try to remove from Add/Remove Programs but it was not there.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

There's a chance that the corrupted download is still hiding out in the temp files. If this is the case, then CCleaner should take care of it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thanks usasma, I had thought that if was but wanted to be sure. The alternative as I see it if this doesn't work will be to have them post a hijack this log and have someone tell them specifically what to delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users