Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router From Europe?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cooldan1

Cooldan1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

I had a thought but I want other's inputs first. Since the US standard wi-fi channels on a router are 1-12, what if I were to have one of my German friends ship me a European router and pci card for my American computer and used the 13th channel? Not many people could use it even without encryption! Or... am I missing a piece of the puzzle? An interesting thought... curious for input and constructive criticism. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

Not sure if the different electrrical voltage in Europe would reguire the internal parts to be converted to US voltage
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

The router would need a different power supply. But even ignoring that issue any decent (ie. 100% 802.11d compatible WiFi card) should be able to notice the 13th channel and switch over to using it. Admittedly there are those which can't *cough* lazy firmware developers *cough* but I wouldn't rely on it for security.

EDIT: You would also break some regulation, I should think.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 03 April 2007 - 02:01 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

yes, the FCC regulates what channels we can use here, 13 being outside that range, there's some reason for it, tho it escapes me right now

Edited by twardnw, 03 April 2007 - 03:08 PM.

#5 Cooldan1

Cooldan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

Hmm... I did a lot of googling... and it seems that the FCC will come down on you hard if you are caught using channels 12-13(14) in the US... but none of the pages tell me why???

Although, from the sounds of it, Wi-Fi cards in the US under FCC specs can't see Channels past 11, so that would mean good security... and makes ya think, who would report you? who could report you??

Also... I wonder if the government could be using that channel with say, police or other auth figures in our areas without our knowing... I'm going to see if I can have my friend send me a PCI card and I'll do a scan anyways to see...

Any other input though?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:20 AM

If a decent (see earlier definition) WiFi card notices that the 13th channel is being used it will assume that it isn't in US (or in a FCC regulated area) anymore, and turn it on.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

Do you really want to take the chance? Eventually someone will notice the illegal channel being used and will trace it to you. What will you say when they confiscate your computer?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users