Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Se Not Starting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tmm5899

tmm5899

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

a friend has a computer and changed the monitor and now the computer does not start windows it worked before he changed the monitor he changed the monitor back to the original one and still when he turns on the computer nothing happens it does not start with windows what can he do :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

He may have loosened the video card. Unplug the computer, take the cover off, and place even gentle pressure across the top of the Video card towards the socket. It may be an integrated on board card in which case this will not apply.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Open up the case and take out the video card if it is not integrated.
Then reseat it.

More system information would be helpful
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

Look inside the end of the video cable and see if one of the pins are bent.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

Make sure he didn't push the monitor plug onto the garphics port upside down. I have seen that before and it wasn't nice to the monitor or graphics card.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

Does the monitor show any text while the computer is starting? Or is it completely black all the time?

If it shows text, you should try booting into Safe Mode. Tap the F8 key while the computer is starting. Once in Safe Mode, you need to reset your video settings to 640 x 480 x 16 colors. Try this with the new monitor. Once it is up and running, you can reset the resolution to what you want. Right-click on the desktop and choose "properties" from the pop-up menu. Then choose the "settings" tab.

This is a particular problem with LCD monitors - many do not come with drivers and the older operating systems do not know what to do with the LCD. Safe Mode uses 640 x 480 x 16 colors which is Standard VGA. The computer will then boot to the same resolution as Safe Mode, which does not require special drivers. One booted, you can reset resolution.

If you do not see any text at all while the computer is starting, then you have a problem with plugs or cables or the video card itself, as already mentioned.

#7 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

the computer shows that it is starting up the monitor screen is not black also it stops after verifying dmi pool dats and says invalid system disk and there is no disk in the floppy drive and no cd in the cd rom drive what could be the problem the a drive light does not come on when i put in a floppy disk :thumbsup:

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

Did you (or your friend) open the case and re-seat the video card?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

the a drive light does not come on when i put in a floppy disk

Does the A: drive light come on at some point while the computer's booting? The drive should be checked during the booting process, but otherwise does not light up just because you stuck a disk in it.

"Invalid System Disk" can mean that you've left a non-bootable floppy in the drive, or it can mean that the computer cannot find the boot sector of the hard drive for some reason.

Can you get into the BIOS while it's booting up? You should see something on the screen, it's usually the Delete key that brings you to the BIOS screen. The main screen should show the hard drive, and if it doesn't it could be because of a faulty cable, a bad BIOS battery on the motherboard, or a dead hard drive.

#10 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

yes i can get into the bios while computer boots up then what do i do :thumbsup:

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

Sorry to take so long getting back to you.

When you get into the BIOS, there are several screens. There should be something like a General tab and your hard drive should be listed there. If not, then you might assume it's become disconnected or the cable is bad.

If you see it there, then it's something else. There should be some sort of specific listing - like WDXXXXXXXX where the Xs are numbers or letters.

If it's there then it could be that you lost your boot sector. "Invalid System Disk" means that it cannot find a disk with an operating system on it. If there is a floppy in the A: drive that is not bootable, it will prevent the computer from starting. If the hard drive becomes damaged, it will not find the operating system and will not start.

It would help, at this point, to know what your operating system is - Win 98, Win ME (Millenium) - ?

You'll probably need a startup disk. And it would help to have knowledge of DOS commands so that you can see if you can find files on the hard drive. If you do not have a startup disk, you can download one. Let us know.

#12 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:50 PM

i do not have a floppy for the computer and it has a two sided items some on the left and some on the right when you go into the bios what item can i go to to fix the problem

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

There should be an option in one of the BIOS subsections to force a reset of the system configuration. It may be called "Reset Configuration Data", "Update ESCD" or it may refer to the DMI pool, depending on type of BIOS. Select this option, save and re-start.

If this doesn't solve the problem, a static discharge may have corrupted the CMOS memory. Most motherboards have a CLR_CMOS jumper somewhere near the backup battery - with the system disconnected from power, this needs to be moved to the CLR position for a few seconds then replaced in its original position. Some boards lack a jumper, and to clear the CMOS you have to remove the button cell backup battery for a while. "A while" may be anything from a few minutes to several hours, depending on board design.

Always touch the metal system casing to discharge any of your own static electricity before working inside a computer. If you clear the CMOS memory, and that cures the booting problem, settings will default to factory, so some aspects of system behaviour may change and need to be set up again how you want them, eg fan speeds
Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

the a drive light does not come on when i put in a floppy disk

Does the A: drive light come on at some point while the computer's booting? The drive should be checked during the booting process, but otherwise does not light up just because you stuck a disk in it.

"Invalid System Disk" can mean that you've left a non-bootable floppy in the drive, or it can mean that the computer cannot find the boot sector of the hard drive for some reason.

Can you get into the BIOS while it's booting up? You should see something on the screen, it's usually the Delete key that brings you to the BIOS screen. The main screen should show the hard drive, and if it doesn't it could be because of a faulty cable, a bad BIOS battery on the motherboard, or a dead hard drive.

the a drive light does not come on at all how can i fix this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users