Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficulty Starting Pc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kbrownie

kbrownie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Hi all, I hope someone can help me. I am having difficulty starting my pc. When I try to start it, the light on the switch comes on and there is a whirring noise from the case then there are three beeps from the case and the screen says no signal, but the pc is still running. I have to shut it off by the switch and try to restart it, I have to do this about a dozen times before it eventually decides to start. I have to coax it along, sometimes it gets to the windows xp screen then the no signal sign comes up, and the screen goes blank,and I have to start again. I hope someone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

what make/model is the computer?

tho it sounds like your video card is dieing

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:29 AM

Check out the following link for beep codes.

Computer POST / Beep Codes

Three beeps is often a RAM problem. You could try running MemTest86, which will check for RAM errors. It runs off a boot CD, so it doesn't matter that your computer won't boot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 kbrownie

kbrownie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies, my computer model is an advent 3218 with 3000+ amd athlon xp processor and 512mb ddr-ram memory. That is what it says on the tower. I hope this helps to diagnose the problem, thankyou.

#5 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

OPen the computer case and make sure the RAM and Video cards are seated firmly. Give them a push to reseat them then try starting your PC. Let us know how you make out.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#6 kbrownie

kbrownie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

I reseated the cards as you said and the pc started ok, but when I tried to start it a few hours later it would not start, it was like there was no power, there was no light on the switch. I left it overnight and when I tried to start it it had all the original symptoms until it eventually started. What do I do now.

#7 kbrownie

kbrownie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

I've been to the beep code link, I have 1 long and 2 short beeps and it says there is a video card problem. What do I have to do now, thanks.

#8 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Sounds like your video card is dead or dying. Is it a separate card or is in built on to the motherboard? How old is the PC does it have AGP video slot or PCI Express? COst for the vid cards vary depending on the type.

#9 kbrownie

kbrownie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

The pc is 4 years old, the video card is separate from the motherboard, as for what type it is I don't know, I can only tell you what is written on the tower. It says nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256MB graphic card with tv out, DVI-I. Thankyou.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

If it's 4 years old, time to replace the video card.
Folks here can give you suggestions on cards.
You can also look at the websites for Best Buy, Office Depot, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, whatever is in your area to get an idea about what's available and how much it will cost.

#11 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

If you are using your PC for gaming then stick with the nVidia GEForce card. My guess is that it is an AGP card. These are relatively inexpensive and work easily with XP.

Happy shopping!

:thumbsup:

#12 kbrownie

kbrownie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the help, but I don't know if it's a agp slot or pci express, how do I tell? Would I be able to change it myself, or is it a difficult job. Thankyou again.

#13 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

AGP
top-most, color may vary.
Posted Image

PCI-X
top 4 are PCI Express (4x 16x 1x 16x top to bottom), bottom-most is standard PCI, color may vary
Posted Image

Edited by twardnw, 06 April 2007 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users