Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Complete Pc Restore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Skhunt

Skhunt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

I had assumed that "Windows Complete PC Restore" was an image of the PC...including the Vista operating system. However, here is my deal....

I had installed Vista Business on a test PC. I then installed some programs, and decided to test the "Windows Complete PC Backup". Two DVD's were created successfully during this process.

I then booted to the Vista DVD, and chose the "format" option as I wanted to test the Windows Complete Restore on a newly formated hard drive. However, since the Vista "format" took only five seconds, I did not trust that it did a complete format on my 76 gig hard drive....so, I booted to an XP Pro disk, and formatted the C drive with NTFS.

After the format completed, I booted once again to the Vista Business DVD, chose the REPAIR selection, and followed the screens....but when it came time for the restore DVD's, a message came up saying that it could not find the restore image.

After several attempts, I reinstalled Vista.

I then went back and booted from the Vista DVD and attempted the complete restore again....and this time it worked fine.

So...now to my question. Does Windows Vista have to exist on a new hard drive in order for the Complete PC Restore to work? This would make some sense in that Microsoft would not offer this tool for us to go out and "clone" 100 PC's without proper licensing....however, I cannot find the answer anywhere on this.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

Hello and welcome,

I believe that the tool only backs up files and not the operating system holding the files. therefore it will work with a copy of vista installed, but nothing else.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

The backup tool backs up files - but it doesn't make a bootable copy of your hard drive. You'd have to use ximage (or is it imagex?) for that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Skhunt

Skhunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:15 PM

Well guys...thanks for the responses....but....

....from what I have read, this is suppose to be like Symantec "ghost"...and that would include the operating system. In fact, from the bleepingcomputer tutorial, this is what is suggested as per the below quote:

"Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise come with a more advanced backup and restore utility called Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore. This program allows you to create an entire backup of your computer that can be used to restore your computer in the case of system-wide failure. Unlike the standard backup and restore feature that comes with all the versions of Windows Vista, Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore allows you to not only restore your data but also the complete operating system and other critical system files."

So....it may be that Microsoft requires an operating system to be installed on whatever disk you are replacing/using....but that is my question.....does it????

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

No, it doesn't require an OS to be installed. But there are some specific instructions to follow when restoring the system.

Here's a link about the feature: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-vista-complete-pc-backup/

and here's a tutorial on how to restore your computer from the image: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-complete-pc-restore/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Skhunt

Skhunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Thanks John...but the first link that you gave me returned me to the tutorial that I copied from and pasted....

1) "Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise come with a more advanced backup and restore utility called Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore. This program allows you to create an entire backup of your computer that can be used to restore your computer in the case of system-wide failure. Unlike the standard backup and restore feature that comes with all the versions of Windows Vista, Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore allows you to not only restore your data but also the complete operating system and other critical system files. "

2) In the second link you sent, please note figure 4....and that is where "an existing Vista installation was found"....and I had NO problem restoring the image I had made previously.....after I had re-installed Windows Vista Buisness....so obviously an existing operating system WAS found....

But I still am wanting to know if an installation of Windows Vista....on a new hard drive or the existing hard drive.... is required by Microsoft even though, as noted above this should be a '"ghosted" deal whereby the existence of the operating system should not matter.....hence my quote in 1 above.....""but also the complete operating system and other critical system files".......

This is the question.....even though this is supposedly an "image" of the PC...including operating system.....is an existing OS required????

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

Sorry, I quickly scanned the tutorials and didn't notice figure 4. Oh well, back to the searching. :huh:

Found this:

You can restore your PC back to its original state, or to a replacement PC. Complete PC Restore can be initiated from within Windows Vista, or from the Windows Vista installation CD in the event the PC is so corrupt that it cannot start up normally from the hard disk.

from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...tepcbackup.mspx

But, here's an article that describes some issues and their workaround: http://professionalinsight.net/VistaBackup.aspx Dunno if it'll help you because your post seems to indicate that you were using the exact same drive.

#8 Skhunt

Skhunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, for the link on professional insight...

In your quote:

"You can restore your PC back to its original state, or to a replacement PC. Complete PC Restore can be initiated from within Windows Vista, or from the Windows Vista installation CD in the event the PC is so corrupt that it cannot start up normally from the hard disk."

...there is an existing Vista installation for Windows Complete PC Restore to see....even if the operating system is so corrupt that it cannot start up normally from the hard disk, so that is why the restore would probably work.....

...and yes, it WAS the exact same drive....I simply formatted that drive (NTFS).....however, I did not create any additional partitions.

If this tool only functions by doing the various workarounds as suggested in the link you provided, then its hardly worthwhile, wouldn't you agree?

It appears that it would be easier to simply make sure you have a backup of your data, and then reinstall Vista and any other programs you have.....sheesh.......maybe Microsoft will fix these issues with the first service pack.....

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

I haven't used the tool myself - bad experiences with previous versions of Windows Backup have assured that. Some of the talk that I noticed about this issue indicated that the Windows Backup and Restore Team was aware of this - so I'd expect a fix in SP1 :huh:

FWIW - I use Acronis True Image and image my disks from outside of Windows using the bootable recovery CD that Acronis lets you create. That way there's no problems with running processes or compatibility (although my Toshiba laptop doesn't like to read the USB drives when using the Acronis rescue media). I have yet to try a restore of Vista with it - but I'm building 3 new Vista systems right now so I may give it a try. I'll post back with my results.

#10 Skhunt

Skhunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thanks John...yes, please do post back with the results. I have used many other imaging software programs as well, but it would be nice if this option in Vista really did work. I have had some other contact with others regarding this, and they are awaiting some word from Microsoft...but as of now, this feature has limited use it seems.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

I'll do it with the wife's PC as soon as I get it assembled. I'm sitting at home waiting for UPS as I type this - and I don't have to work until 2pm tomorrow - so I may get it done tomorrow. I'll be sure to post back with the results.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Didn't work with Acronis True Image Enterprise Server v8. It started fine, and then incremented up to 1 day remaining - then incremented down to 11 hours remaining when I cancelled out. This may be due to accessing the SATA drives for imaging.

I'm going to try Acronis True Image Home v10 to see how it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users