Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Wireless Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 squareandrare

squareandrare

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

So this is gonna be a long description, as I'm now officially at a loss of what to do (aside from reformatting and downgrading to XP).

In my house, we have three computers, and they're connected with roadrunner cable and a wireless network. The desktop computer that is directly attached to the cable modem is running XP Home, and it seems to be working fine. A second computer has XP Pro, and it's receiving the wireless signal with no problems (I'm using it right now).

However, the third computer is about a month and a half old. It's a laptop that came with Vista Home Premium. HP Pavilion dv6000, to be exact. It comes with an internal wireless card.

At the time that I bought the laptop, we were still designated as being on Time Warner, and the Vista laptop immediately picked up the signal, connected, and I had no significant problems for about a month.

They they "switched" us to roadrunner (though they promised that absolutely nothing would change), and I'm suddenly having horrible and bizarre connection problems on the laptop. When you first turn on the computer, it would actually connect, and I'd be able to open up gAIM (a free AIM alternative) and use Mozilla as normal. However, almost like clockwork, ten minutes into using the internet, all programs that needed the internet would stop working.... except gAIM. The signal strength never dropped below "very good", and I was able to talk in real time with friends across the country, but somehow I wasn't able to get any other internet at all.

First, I called the ISP. They told me that if the internet on the two XP computers is working fine, then I needed to take it up with Linksys. She chalked up the sudden internet failure upon switching to roadrunner as "a coincidence".

I called Linksys, and they told me that my 802.11b router was incompatible with Vista, though she had no explanation as to why my internet worked perfectly for a month. So I went out and bought a new router, an 802.11g and set it up. Again, XP computers worked perfectly, but Vista will only connect for 10 min, then die on me. A simple restart gets it back up, but then I just have to restart every 10 damn minutes.

What I don't understand is how I can be using gAIM successfully, but I can't get anything else to work. If I log off gAIM after the failure at the 10 min mark, I can't log back on. It only seems to let me stay on if I already was on. This same thing happened with a torrent program as well, but only once.

I've tried reinstaling the wireless driver, but that didn't help. I even tried plugging in the USB wireless receiver that I use for this computer, and I still had the same problem, so I'm guessing that it isn't the wireless card. Following guides on linksys.com, I tried to ping linksys.com with command prompt, and all four files failed. Even in the first ten minutes when the internet works, the ping still fails.

Another symptom: As that 10 min barrier is approaching, weird things start to happen. I tried to download an .exe file (one that I trust), and instead of downloading blahblah.exe, the file was simply a long, random string of digits and numbers with no file extension at the end. When I tried to download it on an XP computer, it gave the correct file name and extension.

Today, I'm going to a place that has an open wireless connection, so I'm going to see if this same thing happens again, and I'll post back again with the results.

Because I have that 10 min gap where I can get the internet to do tests, but it seems that the more tests I do, the more unexplainable problems I encounter.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me, as I am very, very frustrated right now. The only people I haven't called yet are HP, and they're next on the list if no one here has any ideas.

(I'm sick of paying to be a beta tester)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jpfieber

jpfieber

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

The first thing I would try is described in this tip:
http://itsvista.com/2007/03/itsvista-tip-4...ivity-in-vista/

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

Nice tip jpfieber!

Also, here's 2 other things that might help:
1) Remove IPv6 from the TCP/IP properties for your network connection.
2) Disable the DHCP Broadcast flag IAW this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users