Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently Reinstalled Windows And Lost My Account.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_v1.0

Mike_v1.0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

A true and proper DOH! moment if ever there was one.
My problem originally started out as a Windows error "Windows can not start HAL.dll is missing or corrupted". A little looking around revealed hal.dll as hardware abstraction layer dll and apparently quite important. At first I just restarted the computer and hoped it would go away.....as if. I then tried to repair Windows using the install disk, though as the title says all I did succeed in was reinstalling Windows :thumbsup: .

I still have access to all my files and programs with the exception of my original account's Documents folder which I'd made private when I originally made the account. Is it possible to delete this new account and retrieve my old account through maybe a registry edit?

Thanks in advance.
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

if you did not make the password recovery disk those, those documents are going to be hard to get to. A live Linux CD would bypass the security, or perhaps BartPE. But from inside your new XP install, you won't be getting at them.

#3 Mike_v1.0

Mike_v1.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:33 AM

What would the password be for? I don't remember setting any password, all I did was check the box in properties that said "Make this folder private". Though to be honest the only thing that I'm really worried about in the documents folder is game saves and my collection of "art" :thumbsup: .

The only other reason I'd rather get my old account for is not having to set everything up again-ZoneAlarm, Nod32, wireless network card and possibly dozens of other things I've forgotten about.
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

#4 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

it's not a passsword. setting the folders to private turns on the NTFS encryption for that fold and links it to the SID of that account. w/o the password recovery disk, you'll never get that same SID

#5 Mike_v1.0

Mike_v1.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

So the account still exists but it'll be impossible/very difficult to get it back? I was hoping it would just be a registry/file edit to make the account appear at the startup screen. Hmm, I suppose I'd better start making sure ZoneAlarm, Nod32 etc are starting up with Windows as they should.

Thanks for your help anyway :thumbsup: .

#6 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

if you were to use something that will ignore the NTFS permissions it is possible to get into that directory. My suggestion would be to us a Knoppix Live CD and copy what you need over to an external HD

#7 Mike_v1.0

Mike_v1.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Again thanks for your help. I'll have to settle for the new account and re-install the various bits of software and drivers etc that disappeared with the new Windows install. I'll look into the Linux cd, is there any links to tutorials etc on how to use the Linux cd?

#8 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

http://www.knoppix.net/

it's fairly simple, download and burn the CD image, drop in your drive, reboot. It loads, copy and past what files you want over to a different drive

#9 Mike_v1.0

Mike_v1.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

I'd better get downloading then and then make sure that I never, ever try to mess with Windows again :thumbsup: .

#10 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

good thing about Knoppix, it doesn't have the ability to edit NTFS files/folders, so you don't have to worry about inadvertently deleting something while you're using it. It's also a great way to learn a little bit about how Linux works

#11 Mike_v1.0

Mike_v1.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

Well I ordered the cd (downloading would take forever and other people want on the net) and I wouldn't mind seeing what some of the fuss is about. Thanks for the help again :thumbsup:

#12 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

actually, my boss seems to think that you should be able to take ownership of the folder, assuming you are NOT using XP home. try right-clicking the folder, going to 'sharing and security'. the 'security' tab, advanced button at the bottom, the owner tab, click on your user account in the list, then check 'replace owner on subcontainers and objects'. Then OK and OK

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

I would tend to agree with the previous poster. You should be able to take ownership of the files from within the Adminstrator account and remove whatever blocks there are.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

How to fix Access Denied errors: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Mike_v1.0

Mike_v1.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

Err...this problem has turned into something a bit different. After resigning myself to using a new account and basically having to reinstall just about everything, I actually decided to have a peek around my second hard drive and found.......another Windows installation. So, unlike my original assumption that Windows had reinstalled itself over the old installation, it had infact just installed itself on the secondary hard drive.

The old Windows installation is still on C: drive and still apparently intact(I also replaced the hal.dll that messed everything up up in the first place). From what I can tell C: drive is first in the boot menu(I can't actually access the BIOS settings though as for some reason my keyboard refuses to work during bootup) followed by F: drive but the new Windows installation is taking priority.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users