Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple, Emi Announce Drm-free Music Downloads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

Apple, EMI Announce DRM-free Music Downloads

Over 50% of iTunes music to be DRM-free by year's end according to Steve Jobs.

iTunes users will be able to purchase unprotected AAC format music files at 256 kbps (current music files are encoded at 128 kbps) for $1.29 a track in May from iTunes. Complete albums will also be available DRM-free, but will not feature higher price tags. Customers who have already purchased DRM-enabled music tracks from iTunes will be able to upgrade to the higher-quality, DRM-free versions for $0.30 per track. Tracks which still feature DRM will continue to be made available at $0.99 each.

The increase in quality in itself is almost worth the extra 30 cents.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

Its about time, I still cant believe it, there must be some type of catch.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

Just incase any of you haven't known this yet, but they (the industry) have been spiking music and movie files with adware and spyware in them. Actually, that's old news, but the reason for doing this is going to be more spam on your computer.. just wait and see.

They have been testing and using this method for a few years now, and what is going to happen is that when you download from sources like itunes,.. etc,, your media is going to have encoding inside the headers and you'll be served with more spam.

If iTunes is going to be doing this, then all will follow, which would mean that the RIAA/MPAA would eventually be dismantled, which I doubt.

This is most likely part of their elaborate scheme. I know what they've been doing to the music/movies for the past few years, and it just seems like they're offering another approach into monitoring what you download, and at the same time, serve you a bundle of adware and such.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:32 PM

Never got adware from itunes even though I have only bought two songs only because I was registered when I got 32 free songs.

I dont want to have to burn it to a cd before sending MY songs to MY IPOD KILLER mp3 player.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

Amen finally Legal downloaded music you can do something with

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users