Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E197fp Monitor Font Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDubya

JohnDubya

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

I just got a new Dell system that came with the 19" Dell E197FP LCD monitor. It came with Vista Business and the onboard GeForce 6150LE video card. My problem is that the display is having problems with the on-screen fonts. It's not just with Internet Explorer...it's with the whole computer. It looks like all the fonts have little cyan and magenta-colored shadows around them. It makes them look really blurry and is really hard on my eyes. I noticed that when I turn the ClearType feature off, the ghosting behind the fonts goes away, but the text is a lot more jagged. Is this ghosting behind the fonts normal for an LCD monitor, or is this a problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

Make sure the cord is secure to the moniter and the computer. Do you have the drivers disk for the computer? Might try reloading the video drivers. Does the monitor have an install disk? I'd tell you to check display options but I have zero expience with VISTA
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Make sure you have teh latest Vista Compatible drivers from Nvidia. I know on my brand new Dell Inspiron (got it last week) it didn't have the lastest drivers for the ATI card and now that it does, the system runs smoother.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

Heres the link to the Drivers for your system. Follow the instruction that it comes with carefully, if you don't know what your doing.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:31 AM

Vista's very similar to XP (why write a new OS from the ground up when you can use the stuff that works already?) so the options for the display are located in similar (although not identical) locations.

I get this most often at work when a cable is not properly connected. Check the pins on the monitor, the cable, and the PC to make sure that none of them are bent. Another common cause is that the cable isn't fully seated. Double check that after checking the pins.

Finally, I think that monitors are getting more sophisticated and that drivers for monitors are becoming more common (and, as such, will be required to properly display your screen). Try the video card drivers and the monitor drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JohnDubya

JohnDubya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

I installed the newest drivers from NVidia's site, and the fonts seems to be much improved. There isn't as noticeable nasty colors around the fonts anymore...except in boxes like these that I'm typing in right now. If I look closely, I can see little greenish-colored dots very slightly around the letters. Maybe that's just what Cleartype does to make the fonts smoother? I think I'll also try reinstalling the monitor driver to see if that improves it. Thanks for all the help and links and stuff! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users