Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Drive Corruption From Dual Partitioning?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

So, I was told on another thread that I could partition my new backup drive to have both FAT32 and NTFS partitions (to backup from WIN98 computer and XP computer). The disk manufacturer is now telling me:

"You can make a fat 32 partition but the partition will eventually become corrupt if you use the drive on windows xp with file system of ntfs." and
"The 2 operating systems use different file systems. Windows 98se uses fat 32 and windows xp uses ntfs. This is what will cause the corruption."

So, can I or can't I have 2 partitions? I just can't believe this is right - don't people have dual partitions to run Linux (isn't that FAT32?). Can anybody shed some light?
TIA.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:37 AM

Could you give us a link to this quote? AFAIK this won't happen, and I've had as many as 4 different file systems on a hard drive without this problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

Could you give us a link to this quote?

No link sorry, advised by email.....

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

Could you give us a link to this quote?

No link sorry, advised by email.....

I know more than a few people That have W98, XP, and 1 or 2 Linux distros on a single drive. Installing the correct OS first and proper configuration of the bootloader helps prevent a lot of headaches. This site is a good resource for partitioning stratagies
radified 1
radified 2
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

Installing the correct OS first and proper configuration of the bootloader helps prevent a lot of headaches.

Thanks. Apart from my dreams of playing with Linux (which may never happen), it is just a back-up drive - no OS or bootloader (whatever that is - :thumbsup:) on it. I just don't understand how having 2 partitions causes corruption - there's no swapping between the two, nothing much is happening, other than the data just sitting there.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

Exactly! And since a couple of us have reported this being done without corruption - I'd suspect that the advice you received isn't applicable to this situation.

This is an interesting situation. If you received the email from the hard disk manufacturer - please let us know the name of the manufacturer so we can search their website for this information.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

If you received the email from the hard disk manufacturer - please let us know the name of the manufacturer so we can search their website for this information.

Maxtor - although I'd looked for info before asking them about it....

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:26 AM

My suggestion:

Start a new communication with the Maxtor folks like you did before. Do not reference your original trouble call. Even use a different email address, if possible. Do not tell them this is your second inquiry on this issue.

Let's see if you get a different technician and you get either the same, or a different, answer.

"You can make a fat 32 partition but the partition will eventually become corrupt if you use the drive on windows xp with file system of ntfs." and
"The 2 operating systems use different file systems. Windows 98se uses fat 32 and windows xp uses ntfs. This is what will cause the corruption."

Just does not seem right. Many writers in the PC industry recommend formatting a partition, second HD, external HD, etc. with FAT32 in situations where you will want it to be used by both 98 and XP.

Moreover, let's just think about this logically - when folks did an "in place" upgrade from Win 98*Grinler to XP, the drive was formatted as FAT32 (since that was what 98/Me used) and remained that way after the upgrade to XP. Based on the quote, above, anyone upgrading without wiping out everything and reformatting to NTFS would have ended up with a major problem. That would have been "front page news", and everyone, including us on BC, would be aware of this.

Edited by JohnWho, 13 April 2007 - 07:31 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:40 PM

Just does not seem right. Many writers in the PC industry recommend formatting a partition, second HD, external HD, etc. with FAT32 in situations where you will want it to be used by both 98 and XP.

Well, yes that's what I'd read...but I'm not even really talking about using a FAT32 partition for both. All I'm talking about is having a FAT32 partition to plonk the stuff from my windows 98 computer on as back up, but use the rest of the drive for regular back up from my xp computer. Maybe if you are routinely using a partition for the 2 types it will get all confused, but I think I'll just disregard what this guy says and do it if I get around to it (and find out if he's right... :thumbsup: )

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:51 PM

I use several different file systems on different computers WINNT, WIN2000, WinXP, RedHat7.2, open VMS, Solaris, FedoraCore 6, and have NEVER have any problems or corrupt partitions.

File Systems in use:

NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, FAT12, EXT2, EXT3, NFS, to name a few. name the file system type and I probably have it.

Besides whoever said that is .......

Also MAXTOR is now part of Seagate so make sure that you ask the questions through Seagate's online Support.

Edited by oldf@rt, 13 April 2007 - 11:53 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:11 AM

Besides whoever said that is .......

.... wrong? :thumbsup:

I think I'll just disregard what he said. It seems out of kilter with other info and certainly with your experience. (yes, the Maxtor info is now on the Seagate site)

Thanks.

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

You know, during this entire conversation I totally forgot -

I'm using Win XP Home on my system, and I installed the old HD from my previous Win 98 in ths system as a second HD when I set it up a few years ago, mainly to copy over files, documents, images, etc.

The XP HD is formatted NTFS and the Win 98 HD is formatted FAT32. They have co-existed in this system, without any problem that I can discern, for over 3 years.

Sounds like I've been doing what you want to do, tekchallenged.

Sure works for me.

:thumbsup:

Edited by JohnWho, 14 April 2007 - 09:23 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#13 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

Sounds like I've been doing what you want to do,

Not really, I'm talking about having both a NTFS and a FAT32 partition on the back-up drive. Basically what they are saying is that it is NTFS and it should only be left as NTFS.....

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

You can put two partitions on one hard drive and use different file systems on each partition without problems.

on this machine I have EXT3( this machine is running RH7.2) and a separate partition on this hard drive listed in the network as Q, which is FAT 32.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Hard drive used by the operating system can contain two file systems, as many above have said. The order of installation is important, FAT formats must come before NTFS, that's what I read.

But I think we undertsand the issue differently.
I think techchallenged is asking about dual format on an external backup Maxtor drive, which I didn't notice till the end of this thread. So do the previous answers still apply? I think not, but it's a guess.

If allowed, then the sequence should probably be to do the FAT format first, and then format the second partition as NTFS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users