Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Cleaner...is It Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

I'm debating on whether or not to splurge $10 on driver cleaner. Looks pretty ideal, but I'm wondering if it's just a load of bunk and a quick way for them to make money. Anybody have/use Driver Cleaner? Does it really work and make a difference? Bottom line, is it worth the time, money, and resources? I guess I'm a little worried that it could screw up my system, I've had a lot of bad luck with software lately.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:39 PM

I'm not familiar with that specific program but there some that can help clean up the registry like Ccleaner. The problem is that you can also damage the registry which could mean having to reinstall you OS. If you use one of these utilities be sure to back up all of your important files, and be sure that you read and understand the instructions before you do anything.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:02 AM

It is a really nice driver cleaning utility. If you decide to get it just make sure you get the correct version and not one of the countless malware program pretending to be it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:42 AM

Is this the one you're after. Says it's freeware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:26 AM

That's the old one. He stopped updating the freeware version early 2006. Now there is Driver Cleaner.NET
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Sweetdreamzzz8186

Sweetdreamzzz8186

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:30 AM

I would use caution with that program, i installed it a couple of days ago and i was having all kinds of problems with my computer and it was hell to get it completely off of my computer. Now my computer is saying cannot find secondary drive and i am trying to figure out how to fix that problem.....

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:41 AM

As I said there are a lot of programs pretending to be Driver Cleaner. Are you sure you got the real one?

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/71782/how-to-remove-drivecleaner-2006-removal-instructions/

Does it look like the screenshot in this thread?

#9 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

No no, I was looking at drivercleaner.net, the one that charges $10. Looks legit, and mr. alpha says it is and I believe him. Didn't get it, though. I'm trying to figure out if I really need it. I'm a stickler for updating all of my drivers and being thorough. I guess for $10, it couldn't hurt...

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#10 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

Okay...I went ahead and bought it, but now I'm a little confused.

I have to uninstall the drivers in order to use it??? I was reading the instructions for the program, and I have to admit that I'm a little nervous to try it. I'm wondering if it's even necessary as I always make sure my drivers are up-to-date.

Wondering if there's anybody out there that can give me a little advice regarding the matter.

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

Yes, it cleans up the left-overs after you've uninstalled the driver. Really useful if you got some piece of a driver left hanging somewhere messing stuff up. I don't uninstall my driver before updating because it is a PITA, but if you want to be sure you get a clean driver update it is the way to go.

#12 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

Sorry, but..PITA?

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

Pain In The Ass

#14 K'Taur

K'Taur

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

Just my two cents here:

Quite a few of the malware programs I have on my various computers have labeled DC.net as containing a backdoor. Useful program, but if it lets someone hijack my precious...

I purchased it directly from drivercleaner.net, btw.
"My format? Guardian: to Mend and Defend."
~Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users