Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Inside Computer Not Plugged In...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TRISTEN

TRISTEN

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

Hi okay my nephews friend was goin to put in a new sound card for my computer cuz he has installed them

before. anyways he opened tha computer n there was this one plug thing not plugged in n he didnt kno if it

needed to be so before he does anythin i was wondering if it is okay. I dont have any idea if that thing was to

be plugged in or not. Jus thought maybe somebody else knew.

Mucho Gracias

link to pictures of tha inside plug on photobucket.

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/hernandeskarlos/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

Did you follow the wire to see what it terminated to? Black and red usually indicates that it is +5V power connector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:37 AM

First look at the line in question. The way it is strapped should tell you something. It is test jump that is used to test Voltage flow to different components of your system You can see that it was not attached anything because of the length..

The System is running fine and that should be another hint as to what it is and if it is needed.

Go ahead and enjoy your PC,it is fine

Thank you Jitaa :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:27 AM

It looks like the reset button plug on an old AT vintage computer (P-I or early P-II type). If the computer is working I would leave it alone.
You could look and see what pins are not covered near those wires pictured in the background. They were usually marked on the motherboard.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

That could be a lead for either a Reset switch, keylock, LED lamp for power or hard drive and etc. Your motherboard may not have the pins for the feature. The black plug will usually have letters on it.

PWR = Power swtich
RST = Reset switch
PWR LED = Power LED lamp
HDD LED = Hard drive LED lamp
I can't remember the lettering for the Keylock. This is usually not used and left over.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users