Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntfs Not Found

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 coolking13

coolking13

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

On my parents computer i dont know what happend they just told me that when they try and boot it. it tells them the ntfs file isent found and i dont know if theres a fix for it i just know it is needed to boot. its a fairly old computer with windows xp. umm if theres anything else you need to know just let me know. thanks anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

Could you be a little bit more specific? NTFS is a file table designed for Windows XP, similiar to what FAT and FAT32 are for previous versions. are you talking about the ntldr? That is a critical file needed for booting.

Edited by Uraiser, 02 April 2007 - 11:39 AM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

If the message is "NTFS.sys missing or corrupt" then the solution can be found in this Microsoft KB Article.

Else, let us know.

#4 coolking13

coolking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:27 PM

Sorry, ya its the NTLDR that its saying that its missing. thanks for the quick replys

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

Try this. You'll need your Windows XP installation CD for this.

Boot from the CD, and press R at the first screen to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the operating system (there should only be one)

Enter the Administrator Password 9if it's blank, just press enter)

Now, at the command prompt, type the following (press enter after each line, and only type in the bold parts)

FIXMBR C:
Followed by:
FIXBOOT C:
followed by:
COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\
followed by
COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
and finally
BOOTCFG /rebuild

The CDDrive part should be replaced with the letter for your CD drive (the one with the Windows CD in it)

Now type exit to reboot and remove the CD. It should work now. Let us know!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 April 2007 - 03:41 PM.

#6 coolking13

coolking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

okay thanks ill try that after my dad tells me what he did with the installation disk. ill let ya know.

#7 coolking13

coolking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

srry it took me so long to reply. umm first the hard drive isent being detected i guess bc it shows no primary or slave and i get an error when i get the windows XP disk in the drive it just wont do it. we prob are just guna chunk the comp. thanks anyway.

#8 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

I wouldn't do that. The HDD is still useable.. NTLDR is a critical file for startup of Windows, and thats it. If you reformat, it will work fine. No need to throw it away.

#9 coolking13

coolking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

well my partents had info they wanted to get off and after doing that i dont get that error it just wont boot into windows itl ask me ifi want to boot normal or safe mode and either one i pick the screen will flash after a minute and reboot :thumbsup: soo i dunno what to do now

#10 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

Posted Image
I've had this problem twice for no apparent reason. Both times I used a boot disk from www.ntlrdismissing.com (how thoughtful to use that name :thumbsup: ). You will need a CD, USB or Floppy (easiest) to boot with.

The first option at the boot list always works for me.

Hope that helps! :flowers:

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#11 coolking13

coolking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

i dont get that error anymore.. the computer just wont boot windows after i went threw the repair that Andrew posted and after that booting from the hd it will clear post and then check the dma stuff or whatever and then try to boot windows and thats where the screen flashes somethin (way to fast to be able to read any of it) and reboots. i want to think its a virus but i cant be sure.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

Well...since it seems you have another computer now...just remove the hard drive from the old system...attach to the newer system and move whatever files you want to the newer system.

You may have to use this for files like My Documents, Documents & Settings, etc.: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users