Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Quicktime From Add-remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bostonblackie

bostonblackie

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

Help! To get the new versions of Itunes and Quicktime alternative to work, I need to uninstall Qucktime from my computer. I was able to uninstall Itunes but when I try to uninstall Quicktime, the uninstall wizard appears for a split second and then vanishes. I've been able to delete all other traces of Quicktime from my computer (program files, etc) but can't get add-remove quicktime to work.

Edited by bostonblackie, 01 April 2007 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hello and welcome,

If you have deleted quick time from program files, the entry in the add/remove list will not function. when you click remove, it tries to access the uninstaller located in the program files. in order to get rid of it, you have to re install it, then once it has been installed, it will have repaired itself, then the entry will work in the add/remove list.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

nigglesnush85:
The problem is add-remove quicktime was doing the "vanishing act" before I deleted Quicktime from the program files. It all started when I tried to download Itunes and Quicktime 7.1 and got the message that they could not be installed because I had an older version of quicktime. I had no trouble removing Itunes from add-remove, just quicktime.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

It has probably left behind some info in the registry, before going into the registry, go to start then run click search type quick time remove only what it lets you. if it gives you a warning when deleting a file, leave it there.

Download a program called advanced windows care, http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/ this should remove safely valid entries in your registry.

Now try installing
Regards,

Alan.

#5 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

Still there. Tried the Windows care download and that cleared up a few other things but didn't get rid of that older version of quicktime.

I re-downloaded Quicktime 6.5 but that only put two quicktimes in my add-remove list. I was able to remove the one I had just downloaded but the other one is still there. I did the search, put Quicktime in and deleted all the quicktime files there. That didn't work either. I even used Windows Care again. Just can't seem to get rid of that one thing. I also tried to see if using the safe mode would let me get rid of it. Nope.

Anything else I can try?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

If you have deleted all references of it in the system, then it will only be left in the registry. to remove the entry from the add/remove list,

I can not stress enough that you should back up the registry prior to any actions involving it, if you delete an entry that is important it could lead to serious problems

Open your registry and find the key below. Under this key will be a number of sub-keys, each representing an installed application.

To see which application each sub-key represents, open it and there should be at least two values 'DisplayName' and 'UninstallString'. 'DisplayName' is the name used in the Add/Remove programs list and 'UninstallString' is the program used to uninstall the application.

To remove a program from the list you can simply highlight and delete the sub-key representing that program.
Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
Value Name: DisplayName, UninstallString

Then it is possible to do a search for registry entries under the edit command that have quicktime mentioned and delete them.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

OK I finally got rid of quicktime in my add-remove by installing zsoftuninstall and deleting the quicktime reference. (The uninstall didn't work but the delete did).

First, I did delete all mention of quicktime in my registry after setting up a restore point in my system restore and backing up my regsitry. That didn't get rid of the quicktime in add remove either. Using google I checked to see if others had the same problem I had and obviously others had similar problems and one mentioned using zsoftuninstall so I tried it and it did work.

However, I still can't install the latest version of quicktime and Itunes. When I try to install 7.1.5 I still get the message that an earlier version of quicktime can't be removed. But I dont seem to have an earlier version on my computer any more. Nothing comes up in search, there is no listing of quicktime in the registry or program files.

I was planning to install Quicktime and Itunes, then uninstalling quicktime and then installing quicktime alternative and keep itunes.

#8 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Update: don't know exactly why but I was able to download quicktime alternative and then Itunes and it worked this time. I couldn't get the quicktime download to work from the Apple site but I did get the Itunes one to download. I can now use Itunes again and Quicktime alternative to check out all the qwuicktime movie and trailers.

Thanks for all your help!

#9 wayon360

wayon360

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:39 AM

I've been dealing with the "can't delete quicktime" syndrome, which meant I couldn't update to the new one, which meant I couldn't update to the new itunes, which meant I couldn't use my new ipod. Search for "microsoft utility cleanup" download it from the first one in the search, it will save as "windows installer cleanup". Double click on it, select quicktime and hit o.k., it will now allow you to delete the program from add and remove program section. At least this is the way it went for me on my dell with windows xp. This would have saved me hours of sitting on the phone waiting for some out sourced employee in India to try to figure out the English I was speaking. (Had I just known this yesterday!)

Edited by wayon360, 20 June 2007 - 01:40 AM.

#10 robynkt

robynkt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

thanks for all your useful tips
I finally had to use the "windows installer cleanup" to remove quicktime
then I could install the new version of itunes
and now my itunes works again
yea!

Thanks!

#11 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

check to see if there a cleanup tool for it because i had the same problem with Norton Antivirus software. I searched the Norton site for a cleanup tool , dl'ed it and ran it - all set.. Maybe QT has one somewhere.I know microsoft has a cleanup tool too.. hope that helps

Edited by genthore, 13 July 2007 - 05:44 PM.

#12 Mike P.

Mike P.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:30 AM

Hello Guys

Just wanted to say that I had exactly the same problem with QuickTime. Tried all methods to progressively delete an old version, but the name still lingered in Add/remove programs. Reading through your threads I came to the suggestion of using Windows Installer Clean Up. Decided to download it and use - and it worked!!

I was so delighted I added Bleeping Computer to my list of registered forums just so that I could post this reply. Let's hope I can contribute in the future.

Long live the power of forums, eh?

#13 stugotz

stugotz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

There is a great eManual from Rockbridge Designs on line for a few bucks that even has some removal software included. It worked great as long as you follow the instructions step by stepů and BACK UP just in case.

Best yet you get to keep the removal software after you are done for other problem de-installations!

http://blog.rockbridgedesigns.com/?p=84

Its an eManual with software on "How To Completely Uninstall and Remove all Traces of iTunes" It worked great. was worth it! There are registry key edits that are needed with some of the helper apps like Bonjour that are installed along with iTunes. Getting that crap off your PC is not as simple as using ADD/REMOVE. Unless you get that crap off your system you will have trouble trying to re-install iTunes. I was going nuts until I found this. It worked like a champ as long as you follow all the directions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users