Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Troubles..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sirsin

sirsin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

My computer for a time has been acting up, it was a minor problem back then, but now its pretty major (I think).

My first problems were the lag, the lag was unbearable, it slowed down my computer down significantly.
I had thought it was Malware or maybe a Virus, so I ran very MANY Virus Scans and checks and even after the same problems kept happening.

Second problem, after the lag another annoyance came up, I could no longer download anything probably cause I always had NO space on my computer. The DiskCleaner program always came up saying, "Your amount of memory is very low, You have 0MB of space left blah blah blah". So then, I thought another virus had come up but I could not fix it because I could not download any programs. + When I always tried to receive updates to getting new Virus Definitions, I can never fully receive any cause they always crash.

So now, i'm stuck with a virus program that doesn't help at all and a computer filled with problems.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hello, and welcome

First off, I would clean the system by using a program called ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ this will clean up the system,

secondly, I would recommend downloading advanced windows care http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/ this will find windows problems and fix them,

what security set up do you have on the system?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

How much memory (RAM) do you have?
How big is your pagefile?
What size is your hard drive?
How much free space is left on your hard drive?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sirsin

sirsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

To Niggles :
I had downloaded CCleaner before, but it really didn't help, and I cannot download the Advanced Windows Care, cause I am again, low on disk space.

To Usama :
I'm not sure how much RAM I have but I know its not a big number,
I'm also not sure what pagefile is..
I also don't know how big my hard drive is (anyway I can find out and give you the info?)
and I have about 40 to none free space.

I have deleted almost half of the programs I use rarely and don't use at all, but I still don't get an increasing amount of free space on my computer.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:45 AM

To check the space on you hard drive do the following.

1) Double left-click the "My Computer" icon

2) Right click on any hard drive icon and select "Properties" from the drop down menu

3) You will see a pie chart graph that represents the used and free space on your drive
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

Sirsin, Are you a Gamer?

Have you done a Defrag?
Have you done a Disk Cleanup?

Have you checked your Hard Drive?

The last link I gave you tells you how to check the hard drive for bad sectors. Please take the time to do that.

Have you gotten all of your Driver Updates?

Does your hard drive still 'thrash' when this occurs? Do you have your pagefile set manually or are you letting Windows manage it? If you are letting Windows manage it, I suggest you set it manually (set max and min to 1.5 - 2.0 times the amount of your physical RAM)

Also, Open up Task Manager and see if there is a process hogging the resources. E.g. Look at Mem Usage as well as CPU Time (View...Select columns...CPU Time)

What errors are you getting in your logs, e.g. open Event Viewer and take a look at the logs, when these issues occur?

Lastly, have you tried updating/reinstalling the video driver?

Go to this site and run the scan. It is a Microsoft scan and I have had good results by sending members there.

Run the full Scan

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Next go to this site and watch the Video. It will show you about 14 things that you can stop running on your system

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/training_video...eed_video1.html

Post back and let us know how it is going and if you need further Assistance.

Edited by jitaa, 02 April 2007 - 01:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users