Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

Recently when I have been playing the latest games that require a lot of cpu power, my computer shuts down automatically while I am playing without warning. This didn't happen before about a year ago when I just got my computer even though I played games like Oblivion which takes a lot. Could it be overheating because of dust or maybe the fans? Can you guys give me some suggestions on what to do? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

That would be the first thing to do. Get a can of compressed air, Blow out the CPU heatsink and graphics card if you have one. Make sure the computer has enough air flow around it, not down on the floor shoved up against the wall. In the front of the case, even if you don't have a fan, there will be a series of holes for incoming air. That usually gets plugged up
Mark

Moderator Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dial up friendly. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 April 2007 - 05:15 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

alright thanks ill try it this weekend. but um this might sound dumb but... where can i get a can of compressed air? hehe

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

At a computer store or in the computer section of most major retailers (WalMart, Target, BestBuy, etc).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

oh.. but if possible i'd rather buy it online. dont really want to go out to compusa which is kinda far. also i see a lot of different kinds online but i dont know which one to get. anyone know a cheap, effective brand? or are the all the same? lol

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

Air is air. You just don't want air that's so fast it blows the connections off. You can even use lung power - but it's not as effective as a can. I've used a garage compressor and stood way, way back when using it - but you'd do that at your own risk.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

ok i just tried it and found out the problem wasnt dust. but i downloaded speedfan and found out my cpu temp was around 50 C when my comp was doing nothing. when i did nothing it went up to 60s and 70s. but speedfan is broken for me because it doesnt let me control my fan speed. i set it on 100% but it does nothing, doesnt even get louder. can anyone help?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:24 AM

It could be that your fan is toast.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 chapo

chapo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:29 AM

May I suggest that you put another fan inside your computer?

#11 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

thanks for the help guys finally figured it out. i needed to go into bios and set the fan stuff there. other programs like speedfan didnt work. so finally my fan is pumping at its max. it hasnt shut down on me yet..

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:08 AM

Good work and thanks for letting us know how you solved your problem.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users