Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Upgrade Processor?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigsis0929

bigsis0929

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

I also have an older Gateway computer. Has had ram upgraded to 256, and hard drive upgraded to 60 gig.(came with 3.2 g) Can I upgrade the processor , the video and sound card, on this old thing?
It has a ATI 3D rage pro agp 2x right now. Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

This is an educated guess, with no info, but I would say no. you really would'nt see a big difference. What is the model of the Gateway?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 01 April 2007 - 07:19 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hello,

It may be possible to upgrade, but only so much, if you have the gateway that i'm thinking of, you might be able to upgrade the processor by using http://www.powerleap.com/PowerLeapAdapters.html

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#4 bigsis0929

bigsis0929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

It's older. It's got a 333 mhz processor. Model Number?? It says: G6-333C on front of tower. Is that it?
Purchased it Dec. of 1998. Will try the link. Thanks!! Pam

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

You can use this tool, to give you info on processor RAM, http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Regards,

Alan.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

Intel P2 or AMD K6 processors (which is most likely what this is) are pretty much only available though places like ebay now. that would be your best bet to avoid thowing all the money you spent on RAM away.

Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

Ya I have a 333mhz k6-2 processor in my older system. I remember seeing a 500mhz one for 1$ on ebay with no bids. It was like 5-7$ shipping though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:20 PM

It's older. It's got a 333 mhz processor. Model Number?? It says: G6-333C on front of tower. Is that it?
Purchased it Dec. of 1998. Will try the link. Thanks!! Pam

In all honesty, I would not touch anything. You're maxed out on the RAM so the only thing to try is the CPU which would be hard to find, as previously stated. If you're like me and hate to throw anything away, put Unbutu-Linux on it and play around on it. It's pretty user-friendly
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 bigsis0929

bigsis0929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

Thanks to all! I really appreciate all the info! PAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users