Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"my Computer" Stalls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GabiMarc

GabiMarc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

I am using Windows XP SP2.

When I bring up "My Computer" the flashlight searches for approximately 8 minutes before any drives appear on the screen. Also, on "My Computer," when the drives do come up and I try to save something in the "Save As" box, I cannot choose whether to save to the Desktop or to My Documents, etc. When I click on the drop down arrow my PC freezes.

Is this to be expected? If it isn't, can anyone offer any suggested remedies?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

Gabc, What do they have in their startup? Also, what processes are running?

Have you updated your Drivers?

Sounds like the mapping of the Drives is not working because of needing to updates.

Do the following and this should either repair or instruct you in what the problem is.

To start this process click your start button and then select run. In the box that appears type the letters cmd

Then select OK, once the dos prompt is up we are going to run a utility called checkdisk. To start this you need to type in this exact command below

chkdsk c: /f /r /x

Then select enter, you will be asked if you want to run this process the next time you run your computer. Simply type Y for yes and then restart your computer.

This process will take you approximately 30 minutes to an hour depending on how large your hard drive is.

Post back and let us know what the results are and we will ssist rom there.

Thank you Jitaa :thumbsup:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Have you mapped any network drives on this system? If so, the computer may be searching for them - even if they no longer exist - and it doesn't want to give up so it just keeps on searching.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 GabiMarc

GabiMarc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

I did the checkdisk procedure and nothing changed. By the way, the checkdisk procedure took approximatley 3 SECONDS TO COMPLETE, not 30 minutes.

I'm going to check the startup items as well as the "services." My assumption is that I should look for unneeded items. But how would I know what items/services are not needed?

Thank you again.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

Check the XP services configuration info here: http://www.blackviper.com/

Don't just disable a whole bunch right off the bat - take it slow and easy. Disable a few, then reboot and take it for a test ride. Do this a bunch of times until all the services are taken care of. If you do it all at once you'll have a heck of a time trying to fix it if something goes bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users