Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can this be done is it possible LCD monitor Q?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

You know I dont know how long ive wondered this question! I see these new LCD monitors coming out and I want one! Well the price of the little boogers is so high I just cant pay 350 or so per LCD!

But this came to my head about 6 months or more ago. I know that my laptop uses a very thin LCD screen. Can I get a LCD screen from a laptop and make it into a usable LCD for a normal pc?

You know splice the wires of a old pc monitor cable onto the LCD screen and poof a LCD monitor for about 60 bucks! :trumpet:

So what do you all think? If I get enough confidence Im going to ebay by a broken laptop with a 17 inch screen or 15 and making me a new LCD monitor. :inlove:

But just want to see what others say about it first. :thumbsup:

Thanks Austin :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:00 PM

Its very possible, i would link you to the site with the tutorial, but the site is currently down...when it comes back, i will post the link
Sid

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:03 PM

I knew it! See here is one example of a 15in LCD for a laptop.
Posted Image

I knew I couldnt be the only one to think this was possible! I will google on it until someone else posts.

Thanks

#4 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

keep in mind....its not the easiest thing in the world...not that your not capable, im just saying.....:thumbsup:

Edited by Sid, 10 January 2005 - 08:33 PM.

Sid

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:33 PM

Yes im capable but now that I look into it paying 300.00 for a pre-built one looks great lol!

See a LCD is digital and normal monitors are analog. That means you would need the adapter out of the laptops AGP card and a converter. It would be hard but you still could do it for less than buying a new one.

This is just what I learned.

Good idea though wasnt it?

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 10 January 2005 - 10:34 PM.

#6 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:43 PM

yes, quite...i just wish they would get the forum fixed that the tutorial was on....there was probably a 3 page discussion on how to do it......i became intrested...but could never find a laptop :thumbsup:
Sid

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:02 AM

If you need help finding a broken laptop and have the money to play with this PM me I will give you a link to a few I found.

I just dont have the money. Id rather buy a used one or get a stinkin old analog style monitor.

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:08 AM

You could probably go to a local computer repair place and find non-working laptops for next to nothing. Just let them know what you want to use it for, so they do not sell you one that the screen does not work.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:20 AM

And then you think I could get the transformer out of it and make the thing for under 300.00?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users