Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acrobat Reader Doesn't Automatically Open

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

Suddenly I am unable to open .pdf files without using a work-around. (Acrobat Reader does not open; I get a blank screen with the correct URL displaying for the pdf file). Work-around is to right click the .pdf file, then select "Save target as" which downloads to my chosen location. Then, from the popup box, I choose "open" and Acrobat Reader then opens and I can view the file. Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

Are you using the latest version of Acrobat Reader?
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling it?
Have you installed any new software recently?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

TG1911...only new software I can think of is Kodak Photogallery's. No, I haven't tried an uninstall/reinstall and am using an old (v5) version, mainly because I have dialup (only option!) and don't even want to know how long it will take for a new 20+ MB install; may even time out? Probably the only way "out", though? Isn't Version 8 having problems right now? I see download bundling options relating to the "Google pack". Recommendations as to that or should I just go w/AReader only?

Just found info on Foxit pdf Reader (to potentially replace hoggy Acrobat)....advice?

Edited by Kat, 01 April 2007 - 03:39 PM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

I haven't tried Foxit PDF Reader, but I have heard good things about it.
I would give it a try.
I'll probably install it myself, in the near future, as I'm getting tired of Adobe.
It's sure, a lot smaller (1.66MB) download, than Adobe is. :thumbsup:

I also found this extension for Firefox, that you might want to check out.
Looks like it would be a nice compliment to Foxit pdf Reader.
It's a 123 KB download.
PDF Download

Allows to choose if you want to view a PDF file inside the browser (as PDF or HTML), if you want to view it outside Firefox with your default or custom PDF reader, or if you want to download it!

PDF Download solves the problems everyone has about handling PDF files with Firefox. This extension, every time you click on a link, checks if the target is a pdf file and in this case let you choose what you want to do (open pdf file inside or outside Firefox, download it to the filesystem or view it as HTML).
PDF Download is not a PDF plugin: you still need to have installed the Adobe or the FoxIt PDF plugin if you want to open a PDF inside Firefox.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

If you are trying to read large .pdf files on-line, the problem may be caused by the slow internet connexion. If you have problems even after downloading the file to your hard drive, Foxit is a very good reader to use, and takes up much less space on your hard drive; I use it quite often.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

OK, you two, I've gone ahead and killed off A. Reader and downloaded Foxit (msi, 3.04 MB). So far, so good....have tested opening of 4 .pdf files and appears I am in business. Thank you both!

I received an "Unable to delete" message on the following, after I deleted A. Reader. Should I individually delete them...or might they be associated with A.Flash and I'd be shooting myself in the foot? Why does this happen (that sometimes there are leftover items after a delete)?

Unable to delete folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\Whapi'.
Unable to delete folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat'.
Unable to delete folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe'.
Unable to delete folder 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe'. :thumbsup:

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

They all look like A. Reader files.
Have you tried deleting it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Have you checked the folder's Properties?
Right click the folder, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to, Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

Have you tried renaming the file, then deleting it?
Name it anything you want, like trash, old, useless, ........ whatever.

If none of the above works, here are a couple of programs, you can try:
Unlocker
Eraser
Delete Doctor

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

This works for me sometimes. IF there are files inside a folder, those can be deleted first. Then the folder itself will delete without any fuss.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:13 AM

mommabear,
I had a problem similar to yours, the other day, but just the opposite.
I had a File that neither Unlocker, or Eraser, could remove, but I was able to use Unlocker on the Folder. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users