Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:25 PM

My Flash hasn't been working for a few months now. I've downloaded both Flash and then Shockwave but neither fixed the situation. Where there was once flash pictures, there's now outlines of where the pictures would be; also, in the upper left-hand corner there's a small white square with different colored shapes inside it. What should I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:34 PM

Flash problem, I've tried everything!

Except, of course, the one that does the job.
*ducks the shoe flying in his direction*

I spent a day n' a half trying to get beyond a Flash display at the beginning of a Pest Patrol program CD
I won at bleepingcomputer so I could continue with the installation. :thumbsup:

Emailed the company.
Googled here n' there, too.
Tried everything.
Finally solved.
I forgot how....

To matters worse, I can't answer your question.

*moves quickly to a safer spot behind his desk*

Patience... someone prolly does.

*tries to remotely control the shutdown of his PC*

Really

*cautiously emerges once again to tentatively type another line*

good luck...

Edited by phawgg, 10 January 2005 - 08:35 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

Sounds like you have a corrupted installation of flash. In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Settings>View Objects. Delete anything that has to do with Flash. While your in there delete anything that shows as corrupted.

Go to Macromedia and download both uninstallers (or follow the instructions for the manual uninstall, I recommend the uninstallers). Run them.

Go back to this page at Macromedia and install Flash Player 7.

Now go here, take a break from all that computing and play a game to make sure your Flash Player is working.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like you have a corrupted installation of flash. In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Settings>View Objects. Delete anything that has to do with Flash. While your in there delete anything that shows as corrupted.

Go to Macromedia and download both uninstallers (or follow the instructions for the manual uninstall, I recommend the uninstallers). Run them.

Go back to this page at Macromedia and install Flash Player 7.

Now go here, take a break from all that computing and play a game to make sure your Flash Player is working.

I did all that. Yet, now when I tried downloading Flash 7, I couldn't. (The only way I knew Flash was downloaded the other time was when I went into Add/Remove Programs; I checked to see if it was there this time and it wasn't.) So instead, I downloaded Shockwave, and THIS time it actually worked properly -- I got the Security Warning dialog box AND the animated screen saying it had downloaded. I tried the games with Shockwave and they worked, but that's the only thing that I've gotten SW to work with.

So, to recap, now I have Shockwave which works on the games page you gave me; Flash 7 has rode off into the sunset.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

Try this site and let us know what happens.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

All I get is the little white box with the colored shapes.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

Do a search for files and folders and look for flash.ocx. Right click on it and select properties. What is the version number? It should be 7,0,19,0. Delete this file.
Please let me know the original file version before you deleted it. Do another search for getflash.exe. Double click on this file to open it. You will see a new icon near the clock. Click this icon and follow the instructions to get the latest version of flash.

#8 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

Do a search for files and folders and look for flash.ocx. Right click on it and select properties. What is the version number? It should be 7,0,19,0. Delete this file.
Please let me know the original file version before you deleted it. Do another search for getflash.exe. Double click on this file to open it. You will see a new icon near the clock. Click this icon and follow the instructions to get the latest version of flash.

My search turned up: flash.ocx, version 6.0.79.0 and Flash.ocx, version 6.0.29.0 Should I delete both of these? I also did a search for getflash.exe and got: GetFlash.exe.manifest.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:48 PM

Delete the two .ocx files and go back to the install page at Macromedia if clicking on getflash.exe.manifest doesn't bring up the flash updater.

#10 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

I deleted the two ocx files, but what program do I use to open the getflash.manifest?

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

I don't think it will open. Delete that too. Lets try this. Go here and download getflash.exe directly to C:\Windows\System\Macromedia\Flash. I'm talking about Win 98SE. If you are using something else find the \Macromedia\Flash folder and put it there.

Download and run Ccleaner. This will delete every temp file in your machine. When you go to a site that uses Flash and it says Loading.......... its loading that particular presentation in a temp file. Some of these files can prevent Flash loading if they are corrupted.

Go back there and see if Flash will download. If not, try a couple of other sites that use Flash. Getflash.exe should run the updater on your machine.

#12 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

I don't think it will open. Delete that too. Lets try this. Go here and download getflash.exe directly to C:\Windows\System\Macromedia\Flash. I'm talking about Win 98SE. If you are using something else find the \Macromedia\Flash folder and put it there.

Download and run Ccleaner. This will delete every temp file in your machine. When you go to a site that uses Flash and it says Loading.......... its loading that particular presentation in a temp file. Some of these files can prevent Flash loading if they are corrupted.

Go back there and see if Flash will download. If not, try a couple of other sites that use Flash. Getflash.exe should run the updater on your machine.

I tried the GetFlash, but it didn't work. (I had a feeling it wouldn't, because I have Windows XP.) At least the CCleaner worked.

I tried searching for a GetFlash for Windows XP but can't seem to find anywhere where I can download it.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:02 PM

Getflash.exe is not specific to 98 or XP its a plugin for Internet Explorer which is common to all Windows operating systems. It doesn't matter if your running Windows 3.1.

Go here and download getflash.exe directly to C:\Windows\System\Macromedia\Flash. I'm talking about Win 98SE. If you are using something else find the \Macromedia\Flash folder and put it there.

What I meant saying that is to find that folder on your OS and put getflash.exe in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users