Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp And Ie7 Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 valry

valry

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

I use Windows XP and have had internet explorer 7 for some weeks. I also have Norton Anti-virus and Firewall. Although there were hardware problems, fixed by the provider, the software seemed to be working OK.

Yesterday, after doing nothing more adventurous than playing Freecell, the mouse started to misbehave. It is a Microsoft Wirless Optical Mouse 2.0A. In ie 7 I can no longer use the scroll wheel but the mouse will suddenly scroll of its own accord. In other programs (such as Word and Photoshop) it scrolls fine.

More seriously applications will suddenly freeze / become inaccessible, although the mouse pointer is still moving around. It is sometimes possible to resume by starting Task Manager then clicking on the window of the programme (usually, but no solely, ie7). Sometimes I can only close it down. Also when I start up, the Start button is generally unusable until I open the Task Manager.

Only once did I receive a message from Microsoft, whcih suggested removal of Instant CD/DVD and since I have had issues with Pinnacle programs in the past I removed the lot via the Control Panel. There are still bits left in Program files.

I can't seem to find anything to point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

Check your Event Viewer for errors the may point to the cause (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Check both the Application and the System logs (listed in the left hand pane) - their errors, warnings, etc will appear in the right hand pane.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 valry

valry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have looked at both but I'm not too sure what I have seen! The application list showed only two errors - both application hang, one event 1001, no category given, and the other event 1002, category 101.

In the system section there were far more errors. The source was commonly service control manager, event 7000 but they also related to DCOM, event 10010 and Dchp, events 1000 and 1002. Exactly what that means is anybody's guess :)

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

Let's start with the Application Hang errors - double click on them and see what it says about them. Let us know the details and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 valry

valry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

The first error gives this information
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 31/03/2007
Time: 23:50:13
User: N/A
Computer: VALRYS-COMP
Description:
Fault bucket 372852869.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 33 37 32 38 35 32 38 36 37285286
0010: 39 0d 0a 9..

and the second
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002
Time: 23:50:08
Description:
Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16414, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
0010: 20 20 69 65 78 70 6c 6f iexplo
0018: 72 65 2e 65 78 65 20 37 re.exe 7
0020: 2e 30 2e 36 30 30 30 2e .0.6000.
0028: 31 36 34 31 34 20 69 6e 16414 in
0030: 20 68 75 6e 67 61 70 70 hungapp
0038: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
0040: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs
0048: 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 30 et 00000
0050: 30 30 30 000

Does that mean anything?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Well, that's not a whole bunch o' help! :thumbsup: There seems to be a problem with IE, but it's not specific enough to see any ready solutions.

Try looking in the System log for errors that occurred around
Time: 23:50:08

That's the time of the IE error - so there may be something related to it in the System log.

#7 valry

valry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:31 AM

There was a warning at 23.58 with the following information:
Event Type: Warning
Event Surce: i8042prt
Event ID: 17
Time: 23:58:08
Description:
The device sent an incorrect response(s) following a keyboard reset.

Data:
0000: 00 00 10 00 01 00 6a 00 ......j.
0008: 00 00 00 00 11 00 05 80 .......€
0010: eb 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 .......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 04 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ........
0030: aa 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .......

and then an error at 23.59 with the following information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7000
Time: 23:59:20
Description:
The .ncriwr service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Microsoft gave the following message:
Service Control Manager (SCM) could not start the specified service, probably because the service is not configured correctly.

Further on there is a message concerning audio-visual equipment, which led to me uninstalling all Pinnacle Studio and Instant CD stuff yesterday via the Remove programs section of the control panel. I can't copy it because the computer won't play ball now - I can use this and nothing else! However, there are still Pinnacle folders left in the program files (with content).

Finally, while Task Manager was deciding whther to play this morning Sysfader popped up in the applications section - and then quickly disappeared. It isn't something I am familiar with.

Thanks for yur help.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

I wouldn't worry about the sysfader - but I don't have the references handy right now.

The first Warning was about a problem with the driver that controls your keyboard. Not a serious one, but it may be related to the IE error.

Were there any that were immediately before the other error?

#9 valry

valry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

There don't seem to be any warnings at that point althought there are plenty of similar warnings at different times. Most recently this led to a system error which, when followd up, produced the following information:
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7000
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
Message: The %1 service failed to start due to the following error:
%2.

Explanation
Service Control Manager (SCM) could not start the specified service, probably because the service is not configured correctly.

User Action
Do one or all of the following:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
Verify that the service password has not expired.
Verify that the service is in the correct location.
Verify that the service is not infected with a virus.
To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered when trying to start the program, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the error.
If the WIN32_EXIT_CODE is zero, then SCM did not attempt to start the service because the error was detected first.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
Message: The %1 service failed to start due to the following error:
%2

Explanation

User Action
Do one or all of the following:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
Verify that the service password has not expired.
Verify that the service is in the correct location.
Verify that the service is not infected with a virus.
To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered when trying to start the program, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the error.

If the WIN32_EXIT_CODE is zero, then SCM did not attempt to start the service because the error was detected first.

I'm afraid that I don't really understand what this is about and it is getting more and more difficult to deal with two applications at once (such as ie and the event viewer) because I can't switch between them. Task manager will only let me do so much, as it were.

Thanks for your patience!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

Based on what we've got so far, here's what I'd do:
1) Uninstall IE7 and revert back to IE6. See if the problem still exists
2) Uninstall your mouse drivers, then reinstall with a freshly downloaded copy
3) Uninstall your motherboard/chipset drivers and then reinstall with a freshly downloaded copy.

#11 valry

valry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

I have just been messing about with the mouse settings and changed the wheel setting from 'assume wheel present' to 'look for wheel'. Having restarted the computer I am now able (for now anyway!) to access applications without using Task Manager. The STart Button seems to be working normally and I can go from window to window in a normal way. What I can't do is use the wheel, even in Word or Photoshop. I then unchecked the box for fast initialization, since it the help information refers to erratic mouse movement but that doesn't seem to have made a difference so I may go back on that.

Do you still think it would be a good idea to go through the three processes you mentioned? I had thought that trying to update the mouse drivers and reverting to ie6 might be a good idea. I'm a bit nervous about chipset drivers ... but I guess I can have a go ...

Incidentally, I also have a tablet and pen, which has a mouse. These weren't playing ball either but the mouse wheel on that mouse will now scroll ... even on ie7.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

The mouse driver is the simplest and easiest thing to start with. But there's no need to mess with it if everything is working fine ("Don't mess with success")

Reverting to IE6 is also pretty easy to do - but it's a more drastic change for the system.

Motherboard/chipset drivers are fairly easy also, but selecting the right one's is a real challenge at times. I'd save this one as a "last" resort.

#13 valry

valry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I hope the decorator is as clued up over the next few days. :thumbsup:
Valry

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

I'm the guy that wears black socks with my khaki pants! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users