Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Norton Anti-virus Removal Tool

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

I have another thread about defragging my hard drive and Norton Anti-Virus removal tool came up in the discussion, but I thought I should start a new thread asking about that, as it had veered from the original top of that thread. Hope that's the right thing to do... :flowers:

My laptop came with a trial-version of Norton Anti-virus, which I did not want to use, as I had been using AVG Free on my old computer and wanted to continue to use that. I don't recall exactly if I even opened the Norton trial-version when I first got my laptop, if it came pre-installed or just ready to install, and if it was just ready to install, whether or not I actually installed it (but it might have come installed already). Whatever the scenario was, I used add/remove programs and uninstalled it.

But it's been suggested to me that this would not actually remove all the Norton files from my system (and it's possible that when I uninstalled, that box came up asking if you want to uninstall whatever kind of files those are, as other programs may be using them, and it wouldn't hurt to just leave them on -- if that did come up, I would have agreed to leave them on).

Please note that:

A. I am not having any issues with any conflicts or anything with my free AVG.

B. My laptop came with a D: partition, which would contain the original setup of the laptop (which would still include this Norton trial anti-virus program, as far as I know, even though I removed it from the main C: drive). It's my hope not to mess with the D: partition in any way, as it's been stressed to me that it's a good idea to leave it 100% alone...

So I had a couple questions about the Norton Anti-Virus removal tool:

1. If I install and run it, what if I actually don't have any Norton files on my hard drive to be removed -- will that cause any issue? Or will it just not do anything?

2. If/when I run the Norton removal tool, will it only remove stuff from my C: drive? Since the free/trial version would still be on my D: partition as part of the original setup that came from HP (right?), I'm guessing I wouldn't want it to mess with that, since I've been told it's best not to mess with anything on the D: partition. So can you set it so it only removes stuff from the main C: drive?

3. Does having these (if any) remaining files from that free/trial version that I never used (but I think came pre-installed), after I removed it normally through add/remove programs (I know you said files linger) really cause any problems/issues or potential future ones?

4. If/when I do run the tool, are there any files that it will prompt me to remove that would be bad to remove, as maybe my AVG free is using them? (You know how when you uninstall programs normally, it will sometimes ask you about removing files that won't hurt anything to leave them on your computer in case another program is using them, and then recommends that you do so -- which is what I usually do.) I didn't know if that kind of scenario came up or not with this...

5. And I download the XP one from here, right?
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

6. If I do choose to use it, is it better to do so before I defrag my C: drive? (I will not be defragging the D: partition.)

Thanks for fielding my questions! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 01 April 2007 - 12:53 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

1. If I install and run it, what if I actually don't have any Norton files on my hard drive to be removed -- will that cause any issue? Or will it just not do anything? If you have no norton files on the system, then it will say that it has finished and please restart. however, this is unlikely as it creates, registry keys under several different names, hides itself deep in windows program files, creates services. the best example to explain with is that norton is a tree and has embedded its roots it to windows and you may have removed the tree, but the roots will remain.

2. We've been pm'ing a lot about my degragging questions and my C: drive and my D: partition, etc. If/when I run the Norton removal tool, will it only remove stuff from my C: drive? Since the free/trial version would still be on my D: partition as part of the original setup that came from HP (right?), I'm guessing I wouldn't want it to mess with that, since (as you said) it's best not to mess with anything on the D: partition. So can you set it so it only removes stuff from the main C: drive? It is possible that it will try to clean the other partition, but as the other partition is not active, then it shouldn't try and clean it, the removal tool leaves the norton AV.exe intact.

3. Does having these (if any) remaining files from that free/trial version that I never used (but I think came pre-installed), after I removed it normally through add/remove programs (I know you said files linger) really cause any problems/issues or potential future ones? It is doubtful, that they would cause significant problems, but its best to completely keep or completely remove a product.

4. If/when I do run the tool, are there any files that it will prompt me to remove that would be bad to remove, as maybe my AVG free is using them? (You know how when you uninstall programs normally, it will sometimes ask you about removing files that won't hurt anything to leave them on your computer in case another program is using them, and then recommends that you do so -- which is what I usually do.) I didn't know if that kind of scenario came up or not with this... I have never seen that warning when using the tool before, if it does happen, then keep the files, then run ccleaner and advanced windows care to remove shared files that have no use.

5. And I download the XP one from here, right?
i received the following error when trying to open the page Http Status Code: 404
Reason: File not found or unable to read file try this link

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

It is possible that it will try to clean the other partition, but as the other partition is not active, then it shouldn't try and clean it, the removal tool leaves the norton AV.exe intact.

Is there any way to be sure? Not knowing what the interface or program looks like when you run it, I'm wondering if it gives you the option as to what "drive" to clean?

then run ccleaner and advanced windows care to remove shared files that have no use.

That looks like a good tool. I think I'll probably run it anyways before defragging my hard drive sometime in the next week or so. It's pretty safe in that it won't delete any registry stuff that's important, right?

Veering off topic a bit, but pertaining to CCleaner -- How does it handle Windows updates that you may have downloaded to your computer but have yet to install?

Thanks for the post! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

To see what the removal tool looks like, http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=n...sa=N&tab=wi has a few thumbnails of it.

It doesn't give you the option of which drive to clean, it just goes on a search and destroy mission around your system files, looking for Norton products and removing them.

Both tools are capable of deleting invalid entries of the registry, if you are not comfortable with it cleaning the registry, then uncheck the box in advanced windows care prior to its scan. ccleaner has a section called issues which will scan the registry, but it is separate from its file cleaner. if you do clean the registry, back it up first just to be safe.

Regarding ccleaner if the update files are .exe then it shouldn't bother them. when cleaning, click the analyze button, this way you can see what is going to be deleted.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reply... Now I'm thinking I won't mess with either Norton removal or the CCleaner... I'm not have any issues that I know of, so I'm thinking best not to mess with stuff... :flowers:

:thumbsup:

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

No problems, The saying goes, if its not broken, then it doesn't need fixing.
Glad to have helped.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users