Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting Down After Startup-repeatedly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bigsis0929

bigsis0929

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

Hi everyone! I bought a home built computer for my sons for Christmas from a neighbor.
It has been down for weeks, and I need help! The computer will start to boot up, goes past the windows xp screen, goes to the screen for either of the boys to log in. You can click a name, it goes to their page, and starts to load, then goes black, and reboots. I can start it up in safe mode. When I do, a black screen appears, and reads.....C windows system32 drivers all the way down the page. different endings on those drivers! Then it does go to safe mode.
As you can tell by now, I know VERY little about these things! Would really like to fix this for my kids, if I can.
Thanks Very much!! PAM

Edited by bigsis0929, 01 April 2007 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

Does the computer start in safe mode? if so, try

1.right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

that should help, if the computer displays any warning/error messages, let us know
Regards,

Alan.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

I presume your neighbour also had installed the operating system but did not supply you with a disc for that?

#4 bigsis0929

bigsis0929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

Yes, starts in safe mode, and doesn't shut back down. I did what you said, and unchecked the restart, and yes, he loaded the xp and I have no disk.
Ok went into safe mode, did the uncheck restart, and rebooted in normal mode. I box popped up reading:
WINLOGON.EXE-APPLICATION ERROR
instruction at 0x7c9191a0 referenced memory at 0x00000004
memory could not be read

I clicked cancel, because it said to do this would debug it... then it went to blue screen and....nothing.
I shut it off! SCARED NOW!! LOL help!!!!!

OK... turned it back on...loaded partly, then screen gone, says it isn't loading windows, to protect it.. '
SAYS:: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL then technical info: STOP:0x0000000A
etc....then beginning dump of physical memory..
shut it off again..... oh boy.........

Edited by bigsis0929, 01 April 2007 - 12:44 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

There is a virus that affects the winlogon process - so I'd suggest a virus scan if you can get it started. Otherwise, slave it to another computer (that has an antivirus) and scan it there.

The IRQ error generally refers to a corrupted driver - but a virus can do this also.

The Blue Screen is a good thing (although it's a royal PITA) - it means that Windows has protected your computer from burning up. Fixing the error will requite either a lot of work, or a reinstallation. You'll need the Windows disk for the reinstallation - do you have one?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bigsis0929

bigsis0929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

Nope, no disk. Never got one when I bought it. I kind of remember the boys having a game on there, had problems with a driver. Think they possibly tried to "fix" it.... Could this be it, and if so, can I go into safe mode, assuming i can get back there, and remove games from programs, and will that take out the driver that could be causing a problem? Just asking!! Thank you..

OK< that was probably a really dumb question!! Could I possibly do a system restore back past date they "worked " on the driver, or would that not fix it, or is that just another dumb question?? Sorry, I am really frustrated with this!!!! Thanks to all who have helped so far.....PAM

Edited by bigsis0929, 01 April 2007 - 02:08 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

If you presume that it's not a virus and it actually is - you can damage the system beyond repair by trying to fix it.

That being said, System Restore is probably your best bet here. If that doesn't work, then hammering on the neighbor's door until they let you borrow their CD is probably will probably work the best.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Have you tried running any virus and spyware scans in safe mode? You can also try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and go online to www.bitdefender.com, and run a free scan from there to see if anything shows up.

#9 bigsis0929

bigsis0929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

It isn't that i am presuming... it won't let me run anything now. I started in safe mode, started virus scan, (avast), and got the BSOD again with same message. Oh well, Maybe if I just put a stick of dynamite in the floppy.......LOL. I have NO idea how to slave it to another computer.. told you I was really computer stupid!! I wasn't kidding!! If I can get the xp disk, What then?

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

While sticking explosives in the floppy drive, appealing as it sounds, should be the last resort.

When you get the xp cd, load up in safe mode, and go to start then run and type sfc /scannow this is the windows file checker that will check windows and replace items.

If that doesn't work, you can use the cd to repair windows or re install.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

If you're getting Blue Screen error messages in Safe Mode, it's likely either hardware failure or a virus.

To slave the hard drive to another computer you'll need another computer with a spare connection to hook the hard drive to. Do you have one that you can do this on?

If not, then you can purchase a hard drive caddy, put the hard drive in it, and then plug it into the USB port on another computer.

#12 bigsis0929

bigsis0929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

Ok, am going to get XP CD, and go from there. Will also hook up to other comp, and run scans.
You all are so much help! Thank you VERY much!!!!! PAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users