Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd & Funky Discolored Icons

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:08 AM

For once, I'm not having the problem, it's my g/f. Her laptop's got a bunch of funny looking icons, kind of broken up and colored like they were negatives with a lot of highlights. She said the problem started after she installed a DVD-ripping program (she got a brand-new iPod and wanted to watch Office episodes on it).

The laptop appears to be functioning normally, but naturally she'd like the icon problem fixed. Or could this be the sign of a deeper problem? She does have a firewall/anti-virus and both are up-to-date, so I'm doubting malware/spyware, but I could be wrong.

Help, please?
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

Is it all the icons on the Desktop, or just 1 or 2? Do you notice any other visual defects in Windows? Can you post a screenshot?

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Sorry, don't know how to do screenshots well, but she says it's only some of the icons on the desktop but says it's peppered throughout the computer.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

My mistake, didn't know screenshots were easy as pie to do. Here's a screenie of her desktop with those funny looking icons...
Posted Image

Edited by Venek, 01 April 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#5 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

It si 3 in the morning and I will pick this up later.
I looked at the screen shot and if you notice when you enlarge it then it appears fine.
I would have her go to the Start up Window and right click on an open area and then Properties---Settings and make sure that the Resolution is what it's suppose to be
Also look at the Bits and make sure they are correct.

You can if you want move the Resolution 1 notch forward then Apply and OK Reboot and see if that looks better

Post back and let us know

Thank you Jitaa :thumbsup:

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

No, resolution's perfectly fine, I can assure you of that. Look at the MS Word documents and Wedding file and a few folders in the My Documents folder. You can see they're colored bright blue and hot pink.

I don't know what the Bits are, you'll have to enlighten me on that.

For the record, I just tried deleting the IconCache.db in the local settings folder to see if that would do the trick. It didn't.

Edited by Venek, 02 April 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#7 Xer0

Xer0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

Laptops have delicate screens, I've seen this before on laptops that have taken a bit too much pressure to the back of the screen. Try holding the LCD of the laptop with your thumbs on the sides and your other fingers pushing the center towards you. Light pressure is all you need. It should go back to normal. You're best off finding a replacement screen (eBay if your a IT savvy and good with laptop repairs) or a repair shop if thats what you'd prefer.

Good luck.

Edited by Xer0, 30 April 2007 - 10:30 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Just on a hunch, try updating the video drivers to the latest version available from the manufacturer of the video chipset (usually nVidia, ATI, or Intel).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Thanks, but actually deleting the iconcache.db file did the trick, it just needed to be rebooted after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users