Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Laptop Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cackhandedchimp

Cackhandedchimp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

Hi, great forum here, it's probably the best free IT help thing on the web! It really does cover all the bases.

Anyway, I would be grateful if anyone could offer me any advice:

I'm basically using my laptop as a desktop (I bought it instead of a desktop because of space issues) and someone told me I should really take the battery out of the laptop because if it's constantly connected to the mains and always being charged, it can ruin its capacity so when I finally don't have a mains power supply I'm in trouble.

So basically, what I'm asking is:

My laptop is always plugged in to the mains. Should I remove the battery?

Many thanks,

Ben.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

So, how quick is your laptop?

(ba-dum-bump)

:thumbsup:

Anyway, here's what the Mobile Office "About" folks say.

That's a good point they make about making sure you are plugged into a UPS. Good advice for all of us, whether using a notebook PC or a desktop PC.

Additionally, remember, one of the biggest "enemies" of batteries is heat, and notebook PCs do get hot.

Edited by JohnWho, 01 April 2007 - 09:28 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Cackhandedchimp

Cackhandedchimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

That's odd - I've never heard of a UPS and my desktop upstairs has always been plugged into the mains. Is it vital? No one else I know has one!

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Well, prehaps this will help -

How Stuff Works - "How does a computer's uninterruptible power supply (UPS) work?"

In general, a sudden surge of power or a sudden loss of power could cause damage to a PC's electronics or the hard drive.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Cackhandedchimp

Cackhandedchimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Well, prehaps this will help -

How Stuff Works - "How does a computer's uninterruptible power supply (UPS) work?"

In general, a sudden surge of power or a sudden loss of power could cause damage to a PC's electronics or the hard drive.

But surely when you hold down an off button for a PC when it's crashed and it turns off after a few seconds that's not doing it any harm?

Also where can I get a UPS from? Ebuyer? Maplins? Places like that? Any recommended ones?

Also, this whole malarkey of cycling the battery charge every 4 weeks or so sounds very time consuming and unnecessary!

Also, (sorry!) Does the website mean that after discharging it you should fully charge, then discharge to 40% and repeat process?

Thanks for all the help by the way.

Edited by Cackhandedchimp, 01 April 2007 - 05:47 PM.

#6 Cackhandedchimp

Cackhandedchimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

OK well I've taken the battery out now but the laptop is like a chair with one leg shorter than the other, it wobbles around wherever I apply pressure to it - very annoying! I might put the battery back in now...

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

OK well I've taken the battery out now but the laptop is like a chair with one leg shorter than the other, it wobbles around wherever I apply pressure to it - very annoying! I might put the battery back in now...

When you see the price of a replacement battery, you might try to fix/adapt your wobble problem and make the battery last as long as you can
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

:cool: Just wanted to thank you JohnWho for the recommended site :woot: usasma & I were talking about the same question(to battery or not to battery-That is the question) due to an inquiry made in this forum titled "Work without a battery-AC only. :inlove: I do believe we have double topiced !!!! :cool: Well, hopefully the powers that be will get us all on the same page. :thumbsup: Let's get together, YEH,YEH,YEH !! Sorry, one of those silly :flowers: days I get ,too often sometimes :trumpet: Thanks again!!! :huh:

:( Iodine

Edited by Iodine, 04 April 2007 - 05:09 PM.

Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users