Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios May Be Hosed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fizixx

fizixx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

Hello everyone....

I have a very clean, well-running XP (home) machine. Well...it WAS running.

specs: ATX K7N2 delta series Mo-board. .From memory I think the BIOS are phoenix, but am not certain.

Anyway, I booted into the BIOS yesterday and made a change to the BIOS to overclock. Made changes according to the manual. Rebooted and nothing. I am not sure if the machine is even going thru a full POST. I tried putting the windows CD in, but it isn't 'taking' it. Is there a way to clear the BIOS thru a jumper setting on the main board? My luck....first time I try and experiment with overclocking.

As it is now the machine is dead....no boot, no screen, maybe even no POST.

Of course I cannot locate the rescue disk. Is it possible to make one from a similar machine to at least get to a prompt? Would this even help?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:11 AM

Can you get to BIOS? If you can, enter the BIOS at start-up and change the settings back to what they were, or set one of the default options that have names such as Load Fail-Safe Defaults and Load Optimised Defaults, both of which should remove any settings the user has enabled or disabled, and enable the system to boot.
You could also try pulling the cmos battery out (if you can't get into BIOS or even if you can and the above doesn't work), leave it out for about an hour, reinstall the battery, resetting the time and date, and then praying that it works to get your computer running.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 April 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#3 fizixx

fizixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

No, I can't get to anything, but I forgot about taking the battery out. That's just nutty enough to work. That reminds me, isn't there jumpers you can cross to also clear the BIOS to default settings? seems there is.......not sure tho.

I took the battery out, so I'll leave it out fort a few hours and see if that helps.

Thank you for your input.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:34 AM

Make sure that the computer is unplugged from the wall. Some will maintain their settings if the battery dies.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

Make sure that the computer is unplugged from the wall. Some will maintain their settings if the battery dies.

Thanks for adding the part I forgot to mention.

Look in your mobo manual for info about the jumpers.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 April 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#6 fizixx

fizixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Here's an update.

I had the battery out for several hours......I DID find in the manual (I guess I must have missed it before) that there is a clear BIOS jumper. I tried it in every conceivable configuration.....with battery in, out, plugged in and unplugged....no difference....and no change. the computer is still in the same condition as it was.

Anyone have any other ideas please?

:thumbsup:

#7 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

Fix, One thing you may want to make sure of and that is to check all connections. This includes the Keyboard. If you attempt to boot with these disconnected your BIOS will not respond and thus you get no boot up.

Next at this point you have nothing to lose try this.

Disconnect everything.
Take your battery out, undo your cables, Memory Sticks Card. Everything that you can think of remove. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT.

While you are there clean the PC out of Dust.
Look at your Cables, see if they looked burned or damaged. Instead of putting back a gig of memory only put back a single stick.

Post back and let us know if anything happens. Also do you hear the computer beep
Does it at least have Power

Thank you Jitaa :thumbsup:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

If you try everything the people are suggesting and there's no improvement, you can possibly replace the BIOS chip BIOSman inc. I've used them in the past when I've trash a BIOS so bad nothing worked. Just remember EPROM's are like CPU's their pins bend easily.
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 01 April 2007 - 06:38 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

Disconnect everything that you can (with the exceptions listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/ ) and see if you can get it to boot.

Don't forget to check the caps for bulging - that can cause this sort of behavior. ( http://www.badcaps.net )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 fizixx

fizixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Here's another update:

It's fixed. I found the manual (it's a pain finding stuff after a move), and took a chance on changing a jumper on the mo board. This fixed the problem and I think also overclocked the processor in the process. I haven't explored that part yet, but at least it's working.

So you all know.....I did find and tried using the jumper designated for clearing the BIOS. I don't know if it worked or not but it didn't get my computer running, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I tried this with the battery out and the plug removed from the box. So......like I said I don't know if this actually accomplished clearing the BIOS and there was some other problem going on the other jumper fixed I don't know, but at least the thing seems to be running nicely now.

Thank you all for your ideas and input and suggestions! I appreciate it a great deal.

Hope you all have a good week.

:thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

What's the other jumper supposed to be for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users