Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Reformatting Computer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

When I insert my CD, it will not run. I have used this CD once before and that time, when I put in the CD it will run and a menu will come up giving me a list of option. The next option I was told was to restart my computer where I am told I can press F11 to start the recovery. The recovery program loads then I get the blue screen with the error message c0000218. Also, what do you mean by "repair mode" Sorry.

Thanks A lot
Lawrance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

More info When the Emachine starts up, and goes into the recovery, you should See a splash screen that says PC ANGEL. The recovery DVD is customized for that EMachine model only, and certain windows elements have been removed, if I remember correctly the repair and format functions have been removed.

The OS Disk only works correctly with the recovery partition on the hard drive.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#18 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

You are correct in that the PC angel splash screen loads. However, I sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by: "and certain windows elements have been removed, if I remember correctly the repair and format functions have been removed. The OS Disk only works correctly with the recovery partition on the hard drive." Also, My revcovery disc is the one that came with my computer, therefore it is the right model-I have used it before.

#19 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

When I insert my CD, it will not run. I have used this CD once before and that time, when I put in the CD it will run and a menu will come up giving me a list of option. The next option I was told was to restart my computer where I am told I can press F11 to start the recovery. The recovery program loads then I get the blue screen with the error message c0000218. Also, what do you mean by "repair mode" Sorry.

Thanks A lot
Lawrance

Lawrance,
Try these steps:

Here's how to wipe a hard drive that uses NTFS as a file allocation system.

You can do this one of two ways by using the Windows XP startup disks or if your computer supports a bootable CD-ROM -- most computers built since 2001 have this feature -- use the Recovery Console tool on the Windows XP CD-ROM. More on that shortly.

First, remember that reformatting a hard disk deletes all of the data that is on it, so make sure that you back up your data before you reformat the disk. That data is unrecoverable afterwards. It's gone forever.

To use the Windows XP Recovery Console to reformat a drive, follow these steps:

Start the computer by using the Windows XP CD-ROM (in the CDROM drive) or the start-up disks (in the floppy drive).
You need to go into your BIOS to change the boot sequence to do this making your CD-ROM drive your primary boot device. (How to do this.)

Once the computer has booted from the CD you'll see a "Welcome to Windows Setup" screen appear and after all the drivers have loaded (shown along the bottom), press F10 or wait and choose to use the recovery console (choose item #2).

In the "Recovery Console" (learn more about that that is at Microsoft.com click here), specify the appropriate Windows installation. It will be listed. It's probably #1. Then log on by using your Windows XP Administrator password. You are probably the administrator and the password if you have never assigned is probably blank, so just hit the Enter key. If you run Windows XP Pro and want to turn off the password prompt then learn how here.

Next, type:

map

and hit the ENTER key.

Note the drive that you want to reformat. The drive letters may be different in the Recovery Console from what they are in Windows XP, but if you want to reformat the C: drive then its likely the largest.

Next, type:

format C: /fs:ntfs

Or if you don't want to format C, use the drive letter of the hard drive that you want to format. Hit your ENTER key.

Next, type:

y

Then press ENTER to continue. When the formatting process is finished, type

exit

and then press the ENTER key to restart the computer.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#20 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

My computer did not ship with the XP CD-Rom, instead it has this system recovery disc that includes my OS and other programs. However, they are similar enough. So I restarted my computer and set the computer to boot from the CD. This was done with no problem. With the CD loaded, I was given a choice to press R to continue on with the Recovery or Q to quit, so I press R. The PC angel Recovery Splash Screen loads then I get this error and the blue screen:

Stop:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registy cannot load the hive (file)
\Systemroot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not rewritable

Also, I dont do not know if this will affect it, but I also have a generic host process for Win32 error message everytime I start my computer. Just to give some background info, I was infected with a virus and after cleaning it out of my system, there are many things wrong with my computer, that is why I wish to reformat. Examples including, sound not working, the Win32 error message, ramdonly changing toolbar, etc.

#21 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

FYI - the registry hive error (STOP C00000218) can also be caused by a corrupt or damaged hard drive. I'd suggest downloading a bootable utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and testing the drive with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#22 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:30 PM

If I do not know the manufacturer of my drive, is there some way I can find out besides opening up the computer?? Thanks

#23 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:58 PM

Try this free tool: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#24 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:31 PM

Before you do any formatting, see if you can still make the application/driver DVD (or cds) from inside windows. If you can make a set (1 DVDr or 3 CDrs), do so before anything else is done.

Boot from the hard drive, hitting the f11 key right after the e machine splash screen, then hit r to perform recovery, when PC angel asks for the recovery disk, then insert the disk that came with the machine and click ok to continue. you should be given an option to backup your files and settings. PC Angel will then copy certain files from the recovery disk, and restart when it is finished.

The stop error indicates a corrupt registry in the MININT. are you getting this error when booting from the hard drive? or only when booting from the CDrom?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#25 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Boot from the hard drive, hitting the f11 key right after the e machine splash screen, then hit r to perform recovery, when PC angel asks for the recovery disk, then insert the disk that came with the machine and click ok to continue.

That is the problem. After hitting F11 to begin the recovery and after the PC angel splash screen finishing loading, I get the blue screen with the c0000218 error message, saying that the Systemroot\system32\config\SECURITY file is corrupt, missing, or nonwritable.

Also I do not quite understand what you mean by: "Before you do any formatting, see if you can still make the application/driver DVD (or cds) from inside windows. If you can make a set (1 DVDr or 3 CDrs), do so before anything else is done."

"The stop error indicates a corrupt registry in the MININT. are you getting this error when booting from the hard drive? or only when booting from the CDrom?"
I'm not sure because after I hit F11, the two option I get are "r" to recovery or "q" to quit. Under the "r" option, it saids that the computer will attempt to perform the recovery from the partitioned hard drive or if no partitioned is found, it will run from the CD. It does not tell you if it runs from the CD or from the HD

Thanks
lawrance :thumbsup:

Edited by lawrancec, 02 April 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#26 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

Ok just to make it clear what is happening, I'll go over what I do and what I see on my screen. Thanks!

My computer has been acting very strange, so I decide to reformat. I take out my system recovery disk and pop it into the drive and restart my computer. When the computer restarts, I am given 2 options:

"r" to view recovery option
F11 to begin recovery

So I press "r" and from there I am given 2 options again:

"r' to begin recovery from the hard drive partition or if no hard drive partition is found, it will begin from the CD
"q" to quit

So i press "r" to begin, a logo loads on the screen then I get this error message with the famous blue screen:

Stop:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registy cannot load the hive (file)
\Systemroot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not rewritable

Then nothing will happen and I have to turn off the power and restart my computer. Thats the problem =(
P.S.: When I used this recovery CD before, it would run inside Windows but now it wont anymore, hence I have to load it when I boot my computer but that still doesnt work.

Lawrance

#27 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

Lawrence you cantaek a look at this thead.
This user had the same problem with his system

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/2005...le_failure.html

Good luck

#28 lawrancec

lawrancec
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:53 AM

Ok, thanks for your reply =)