Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Problem With Computer Shutting Down. No Idea How To Fix It

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BosnianHonkey

BosnianHonkey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hey guys

I have this problem that i've been trying to fix now for a few hours, but I just don't know what to do.

Earlier today i got the "Brave Sentry" thing in my toolbar. Unfortunately i didn't know what it was at the time and i just tried to close the bogus error message it gives you, which appearently installs some spyware and tries to get you to buy something. I have found out how to get rid of this, but another problem showed up before i could do anything.

I restarted the computer and when it powers back on, there is no start button, no toolbar, no icons on the desktop. It is just the blank screen and it does not allow you to right click or access anything. Pretty much the only thing it lets me do is Ctrl + Alt + Delete to bring up the task manager, which may or may not be helpful.

Even worse, after a while a window comes up with a warning and a timer that counts down from 60 seconds. The message says "Windows must restart because Remote Procedure Call (RSC) service terminated unexpectedly". When the timer hits zero, the computer just restarts and everything repeats as before.

In the task manager i can see that CPU usage is 100% the whole time, and it takes a very long time to shut down and restart.

If anyone can help me out with this i would be very greatful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:31 AM

I would try doing a repair install of the operating system.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:14 AM

Can you go to safe mode and use "last known good configuration" setting?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:05 AM

Last known good configuration won't work since it is base don the fact that the computer actually got past the POST. THe first thing to do is start in safe mode and run a virus scan and allow it to quarantine, delete or repair what it finds. Try that then let us know how tyou make out.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

once you see the message about shutting down, you can click 'start' -> 'run' and type "shutdown -a" (without quotes) and click ok, this will halt the shutdown process and let you at least attempt to fix the problem.

#6 BosnianHonkey

BosnianHonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

The problem with the "shutdown -a" thing is that i can't click the start button. It's just not there.

When i try to use safe mode by hitting F8 when it starts up, it takes me to the screen where you can select restart in safe mode, use last known good configuration, etc. But i can't use the arrow keys to select any options. Regardless of what buttons i press here, it does nothing. Basically the only thing i can do is hit the power button.

And i don't know of any other way to get it into safe mode since i can't hit start or anything else once it boots up.

#7 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

windows key + r = run dialog

or , ctrl + shift + escape to bring up the task manager, then 'file' menu and 'new task'

Edited by twardnw, 03 April 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

Another workaround is to create a shortcut on your Desktop that runs the "shutdown -a" command.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 BosnianHonkey

BosnianHonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

Ok i'm now able to get into safe mode, and stop it from restarting.

However i wasn't successful using the method described here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22402/how-to-remove-spysheriff-winstallexe-spysheriffexe/

to get rid of "bravesentry/spysheriff". The program says it could not locate some file (i can post the exact error message when i get back home), and it just skips to disk cleanup each time.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

Please post the additional info once you get home.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 BosnianHonkey

BosnianHonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

Ok finally got a chance to check it out again

This is the message i get when attempting to get rid of brave sentry/spy sheriff:

Killing Process...
hosts...
Generic Renos Fix...
Deleting Infected Files...
Scanning DNS
D:\Documents & Settings\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\ScanDNS.
Vbs(67, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error:
ActiveX component cannot create object: 'Get Object'

The system cannot find the file specified.
Deleting Temp Files...

And I get this same thing every time i try it. When i switch back out of safe mode
to normal, it's the same thing as before.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

Follow the directions here to submit a HiJackThis logfile: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users