Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poblems After Downloading Codec

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 margiemorgan

margiemorgan

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

I was having problems playing a file using windows media player through a projector so I downloaded a codec to see if this would correct the problem. I have a post on another forum about this problem but unfortunately no one has replied. Anyway, after I downloaded the codec, everything now plays too fast. This is in winamp, windows media and real player. It sounds like the chipmunks talking. ;-)

I downloaded this codec:

# XP Codec Pack 2.0.7.1 updated
XP Codec Pack is one of the most completed codec packs which helps you to play all major audio and video formats.

Now I can't figure out how to uninstall the codec. I downloaded something called radlight filter manager but I can't figure out how to make it work.

Help please.

Thanks

Margie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Hello,

If you open the file in windows media player, go to view then enhancements then show enhancements then scroll across until you find the speed settings, alter them to a lower speed.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

If it was installed correctly, you should find the XP Codec Pack in your control panel, add/remove.

I had trouble with the latest version and went back to my older version, 2.0.5. I only use the media player classic that's included in it. I don't use Windows Media Player or anything else. mpc just plain wouldn't work at all with the new version.

Edited by mommabear, 31 March 2007 - 08:17 PM.

#4 margiemorgan

margiemorgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

Let me update. I found a site that told me how to delete the codec and I did that. Still have the same problem. All of the players, windows, real play and winamp all play too fast. When I go to a site i.e. msn and view one of the videos there, it too plays too fast. Therefore I can't go to a player and slow anything down. It is a problem that appears to be system wide. I need to use the flv player for some of the clips I use in my class. That too plays too fast. Somehow, one of the codec files must be remaining in the system. Any advice with this new information?

Thanks,

Margie

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:48 AM

How to Manually Delete your Codecs
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:04 AM

Marge, Follow these steps to see if you can locate the left behinds.

To remove a specific codec or MCI device, follow these steps:
1. In Control Panel, double-click Multimedia.
2. Click the Advanced or the Devices tab.
3. To remove an audio codec, double-click Audio Compression Codecs, double-click the codec you want to remove, and then click Remove.
4. To remove a video codec, double-click Video Compression Codecs, double-click the codec you want to remove, and then click Remove.
5. To remove an MCI device, double-click Media Control Devices, double- click the device you want to remove, and then click Remove.

For further information here is alink

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142731

Another thing , all of the players that you mentioned are Freeware. Have you thought about uninstalling them and then do a reinstall?

Let us know as we have not given up

Thank You Jitaa :thumbsup:

#7 margiemorgan

margiemorgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:10 AM

Just a quick update. I have tried to have windows go back to a previous starting point before I installed the codecs and this did not work. I have also uninstalled all of the players and then reinstalled but with no luck. Here are a couple of dumb questions: How do I know which codecs are the one's I recently installed. Also, once I uninstall, what do I have to do to make the players work again? I guess I am asking how do I get back to using the files I originally started with?

Thanks

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:08 AM

Hello,

You will need to install the players again, if you don't have the original install media, you might have to go to each of the manufacturers sites. I would recommend downloading a new codec pack, such as K-lite
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm it is a good codec pack, I'm using it at the moment with no problems.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#9 margiemorgan

margiemorgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

OK, I am looking at the codecs now.

I went into the aidio portion and checked each one so that they would not be used. Still no change when I use a player. I am now in the video portion. I have the following listed:

iccvid.dll
indeo video 5.10
ir32_32.dll
ir41_32.ax
iyuv_32.dll
msh261
msh263
msrle32.dll
msvidc32.dll
msyuv.dll
PICVideo MJPEG Codec
tsbyuv.dll

I have a really bad feeling about deleting all of these and starting over. Can someone tell me which files were installed by the XP Codec? I have searched the internet and can't find any specific files listed. FYI, I do have all of the original software for the computer as it is less than 3 months old.

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users