Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Comodo Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

I recently installed Comodo Firewall on my laptop. I had heard excellent things about the product. Now, however, I am hearing about a so called Trust Toolbar that installs with it. From what I heard, it is supposedly an unwanted piece of software.

Is Trust Toolbar spyware? If it is, and Spy Sweeper reports it, should I delete it? Will that affect Comodo Firewall? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

When I installed comodo, it didn't install any software with it. if it gives you the option to not install it then you shouldn't have a problem. check the add remove programs after install for it, it shouldn't be bundled with the firewall anyway.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:58 AM

It's a plug-in for Internet Explorer that acts as an anti-phishing toolbar. Since you can download it separately, (see here: Tucows Downloads - Trusttoolbar ), it would seem that you could uninstall it without problems.

Reading about it at the Commodo forums, they seem to think that it's a false positive in regards to Spy Sweeper detecting it as spyware.

Link : Is Trusttoolbar Spyware?

Unless you are using IE, I wouldn't think you would need it. IE7 & Firefox (latest version) have an anti-phishing filter built in.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:34 AM

If I was the distributor I also would deny it. There are other opinions :

eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia - Trust Toolbar v3 or this

#5 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:
Since Spy Sweeper did not detect anything and I have not had any problems so far, I think I will stick with Comodo for now.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users