Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Resolution And Depth Set Very Low

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Swimmer

Swimmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

my screen resolution and depth are set very low and stuck that way. everything (graphic wise) is very messed up. some websites i go to says theres a problem with the macromedia 8.0 i think and it exits out of the internet. Also when i turn on my computer a little balloon pops up in the taskbar and says my resolution and depth are sset very low, click here to fix. I do and it ask me to fix automatically? i say yes and the screen goes black like its changing but when it comes back up its the same. Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

Try updating your video drivers. Also, just in case, try this free online scan: http://safety.live.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hi swimmer, what happens when you right click on your desktop and go to properties? What is the rs olution and color quality? Also it may pay to check out your video card drivers. The info is also in properties.
MCP
MSDST

#4 Swimmer

Swimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:55 PM

when i go to properties i can change the color quality to highest (32 bit) and switch the screen resolution to 800 by 600 pixels, but when i click apply, it does nothing. and how do i update my video drives?

also, my current resolution and quality is.. 800 by 600 pixels, lowest (4bit)

Edited by Swimmer, 31 March 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#5 Swimmer

Swimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:09 AM

any help?? how do i get to where i update my video drivers?

#6 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

Go t Start---MY Computer---Right Click ---Properties---Hardware---From there you can make the adjustments for Windows to alert you when there is a driver update for Windows

Next we need the model of your PC and Series. This information can be looked up on the Web but if you supply it to us we can let you know the URL for your Driver Updates

If possible give use the information on what the drivers are now including Video---Audio etc.
One way you can get this information is go to Start---My Computer----Local Disk C----Right click---Properties--Hardware. There you will see 3 drivers. post them here along with the other requested information :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:42 AM

Windows may or may not advise you about video driver updates. And, I've had bad experiences with their updates in the past.

I prefer to get the driver updates from the manufacturer of the chipset on the video card (generally ATI, nVidia, or Intel) - but you can also get them from the manufacturer of your computer.

Just go to the manufacturer's website and find the Support or Downloads section and follow the prompts to locate your video drivers. Once downloaded, it's a simple matter of double clicking on the download and following the directions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Swimmer

Swimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

ok, so i have the 3 things under local disk c

they are:

ST340016a (type) disk drives
floppy disk drive
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B (type)DVD/CD-R

my model is
Dimension 4300
and i dunno what series? windows Xp?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

Go to the Dell support site and enter the tag number that's on the back of the computer (the service tag) - that'll take you to the area where you can download the drivers for your system.

It appears from this page ( http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid= ) that you've got either an ATI or an nVidia video card. Look in your documentation to see which one.

#10 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Swimmer, Once you are at the Dell site it may seem a bit confusing as to what Drivers you need to update.
The best way is once you enter the information requested you will be directed to a page that has a list of different Apps.
Instead of trying to figure out which one to get or not to get just click where you see Edit. I always pick Critical first to make sure I do not miss those.

Now the most important thing to remember is the Date that you got your system. You should know whether you got Driver updates before or not.
Look at the date that each Driver was issued. You can get a feel for which ones you have to update from that.

Post back if you need more assistance

Thank you :thumbsup:

#11 Swimmer

Swimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

Thanks very much for the help. I updated my drives, then i went to desktop properties, switched the quality and boom, its better.

Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users