Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Xp Is Acting Strange...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hello again,

I made a topic earlier about this problem, but someone decided to take it off. Sorry if i violated some sort of rule, but I wasn't sure where to post my problem, and i wasn't sure if a HijackThis log would help or not.

I made some changes to my registry a week or so ago based on recommendations for tweakguides.com

My computer did fun smoother and feel more responsive, but it seems that some problems have come up:

1) When I try playing any game on STEAM (counterstrike, day of defeat, etc) it uses the defaults (for cs, it's left hand, 16-bit graphics) and no matter what I do, it stays stuck that way. The biggest problem is that I end up lagging and getting blamed for speed-hacking.

2) AIM Triton does not work for me since everytime someone IMs me, it just freezes. I've swtiched to AIM 5.9 for now, but I miss the features of Triton.

3) IE DOES NOT WORK WHATSOEVER. I use firefox, but when I have to switch to IE, it just crashes and burns. Ugh.

4) Tibia will not actually CLOSE. Tibia is an MMORPG and whenever I close the client it disappears. When I go check under the windwos task manager, I find that it's still running in the background.

Those are the biggest problems for now, but I'm pretty sure more will come up soon...

someone plz help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

The first place to start is by undoing those tweaks to see if they were the cause. If you're unable to locate them, then I'd suggest a system restore to a date prior to the tweaks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

oh yea, i just remembered that it won't let me do system restore...and i have it enabled.

I'll try to undo the tweaks if i can

Edited by The Insane Mao, 31 March 2007 - 05:46 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

Try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

Hey,

I think I figured out what was causing the problems. I made some tweaks that were supposed to speed up the explorer.exe and IE (which it did), however, it doesn't work if you're connected to a network of computers (which I am), so my IE doesn't work anymore.

I attached two pictures of the tweak I made and the place where I made it. It isn't possible for me to restore the two keys by myself since i don't know what the values contained. Hopefully these registry keys aren't specific to each computer, and just general values that work for all computers.

btw, since I can only use firefox, I can't use the free online scan =/

---
OK, so I can't attach anything...ill paste the tweak i made then:

SPEED UP EXPLORER
The following tweak can improve the response time of Windows Explorer (and also Internet Explorer). Go to
the following key in the Windows Registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteCom
puter\]
NameSpace
To prevent Windows Explorer from searching for remote scheduled tasks, under the Namespace key in the
left pane find the {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} key, right‐click on it and select Delete
to remove it. To also prevent Explorer from searching for remote shared printers, delete the {2227A280-
3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} key
as well. This will speed up the time it takes for Explorer to open
and navigate. If you are connected to a network of computers do not undertake this tweak.

(I deleted those two values and now I don't know how to put them back in)

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

These are the keys from my installation of XP SP2:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
@="Scheduled Tasks"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}]
@="Printers"

Open Notepad, copy and paste the 1st code into it and save it as a .reg file (call it 1.reg for simplicity's sake). Then double click on it to merge it to the registry.

Do the same with the 2nd code to merge it into your registry. Name it 2.reg to prevent conflicts with 1.reg.

Don't mess in the registry without making backups. And, just in case, make sure you can restore it if you can't get into Windows (using the Recovery Console, a Bart PE disk, or an UBCD).

I dunno if this will fix it tho' - these entries don't seem to be "critical" to me.

Edited by usasma, 01 April 2007 - 12:46 PM.

#7 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

OMG!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH MAN!!!!!!!

MY IE WORKS NOW!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now I'm gonna try my other stuff, and it that works too, then ZOMG, I'm in ur debt forever!!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Glad that it worked for you! Don't forget to backup before doing any tweaking!

#9 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

I'll keep that in mind, thanks man!!

#10 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

OMFG, NOT AGAIN!!

Looks like that was only a TEMPORARY FIX. Hmm, maybe I'm going to need to restore some other changes I made too.

I made some other changes like removing the Winzip buttons from the right click menu in folders and I also added some buttons called "Copy to Folder" and "Move to Folder", which do exactly that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users