Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Acronis, Recovering Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

After reinstalling XP for the umpteenth time (due to ZoneAlarm zonking out my Internet and I tried to reinstall the Ethernet drivers...I know, I know, I coulda done System Restore, but I was too much of an idiot to think of it in the first place), I'm at the point where I'm using my Acronis program.

I've done a little bit with it, I was able to restore my e-mail and Firefox settings from the image file that I thankfully created only last weekend. I'm certain that I can simply retrieve my games by just recovering those folders within the image file back to the original location instead of spending all day installing every game I got.

My concern: Obviously I can recover the program folder files containing the games, but would the games run? I mean, when a game or a program is installed, aren't there critical files that make these programs run installed in the Windows directory? I'm tempted to test out a game and see what happens, but wanted to get input from here first, especially knowing that there are quite a few of you here who use Acronis (and I can see why, what a handy program to have!).

On a side note...I am a fan of ZoneAlarm NO MORE. What a colossal muck-up they did with their most recent update. I'm trying out Comodo right now, and so far, I kind of like it. I especially like how it doesn't take all day starting up the computer.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

Venek -

We need a little more info on how you "restored" you system, but in general:

If you got out the XP CD, and installed a new, fresh operating system, then you would have to re-install any game you wanted to run. After re-installing the game, you could copy the "saved game" info from your Acronis backup.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

So, in other words, because I manually reinstalled XP instead of Acronis, I have to reinstall the games/programs? Well, that sucks. I mean, no big deal, but it's a drag.

I tried to restore the image file (since I did the entire system) using the bootable CD I created from Acronis, but it just didn't do anything. It erased my HD, but that was it. It showed no progress or anything. Needless to say I was a little miffed. Glad to see, though, that I was still able to recover files, but I guess not programs, huh?

How damn annoying.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

Ah,

but on the bright side -

you may only want to install the programs that you feel you need,

and not clutter up your system with other programs you don't use.

May make your system a little leaner and meaner, if you know what I mean.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:13 PM

Oh,

besides getting all of the updates for XP, don't forget to re-install any updated drivers you needed, too.

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

On top of it, and I'm way ahead of you. Once I have everything that I want installed and everything's up to date, I'll run the Acronis back-up. ZoneAlarm's really pissed me off on this.

Edited by Venek, 31 March 2007 - 11:25 PM.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

I tried to restore the image file (since I did the entire system) using the bootable CD I created from Acronis, but it just didn't do anything.

What do you mean it didn't do anything.
You put your bootable CD into the drive and it booted to Acronis, right? wrong?
Then you told Acronis TI to restore the image from some hard drive you have, right? wrong?
What did TI tell you?
I suppose your image was originally validated as being sound and safe or you'd not have been able to pull individual files/folders. So what step failed?
Did you really make an image backup, usually designated as DISK? for the whole computer?
You do know that if you boot into the Linux enviroment your drive designations do not correspond to the Windows designations - perhaps that's where the problem is. Did you originally give your external drive some volume name?
I do not need any answers, just perhaps you can use this as a checklist.

Edited by tos226, 01 April 2007 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users