Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Really Need Someones Help If Possible

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

I work from home and I have my assistant work from here as well. The problem is that everytime he has to print he has to e-mail me the document and I have to print it for him because my computer is the only one hooked up to the printer. I am a mortgage banker so what I do moves fast through out the day while the market is adjusting and stuff so its slowing me down everytime I need to stop to print his documants. I am thinking that since he is hooked up wirelessly through my linksys router that there might be a way to print directly from his laptop. Is there a possible way to do this? Please keep in mind that I know as much about computers as I know about the chinease language or how to spell it for that matter. But this site is helping me get better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

Check the manufacturer's website for updates and make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your particular printer.

Here's a simple BC tutorial on setting that up
Sharing a Printer in Windows XP

Let us know if you still need anything
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

I dont believe I have a network set up. Will this still work?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

No that is for Pc's on a network to share one printer that is connected to the host(main) PC.

You either have to create a Network (LAN= local Area Network) or setup a Server or Print(er) Server Device.
:trumpet: The LAN is the least involved. Requiring only connecting 2 pc's in a network and then sharing the printer as in tutorial.

:flowers: Server : A print server is a computer that manages one or more printers. Servers are often dedicated, meaning that they perform no other tasks besides their server tasks.

:thumbsup: Print Server Device : A piece of Hardware that users can send print jobs to. It then sends them to the printer. This keeps you un networked (no LAN) also no dedicated PC . See image and description in link.
Wireless-G PrintServer
A $100 + investment. And perhaps the best wat to go.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

Ok is there anywhere that their is a tutorial that I can set this up?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

You can select your equipment and they'll adjust the instructions. Click on the Easy Link Home networking tools section..

Setup and configure a wireless connection

Set Up the PrintServer (linksys )

As always post back if need help.

#7 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

I tried t follow the links but it wouldnt help me get a printer set up. It said I needed a disk. I even tried calling linksys. No help. Is there a way since I am running through the same router (laptop is of course wireless) that I can share the printer? Im sure there is a way but I dont want the laptop to have access to my files on my computer. I appreciate all of yoru help.

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:14 AM

If others are connected through a router to the internet and you are connected through the same route then a Network is allready setup.

You will need to share the printer on the netowrk. Right click on the printer and select share this print device. Next you need to find out the name of you machine. Right click on my computer and select properties. Then on the tab called computer name make a note of the displayed name. Then from the other machine type
\\xxxxxxxxx\ (where xxxxxxxx is the name of your machine)
Right click on the printer that should be displayed in the explorer window and click connect. This should then connect this device to a printer name on the other machine and allow remote connection.
Remember the other machine will only be able to print when you machine is ON.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

If others are connected through a router to the internet and you are connected through the same route then a Network is allready setup.

You will need to share the printer on the netowrk. Right click on the printer and select share this print device. Next you need to find out the name of you machine. Right click on my computer and select properties. Then on the tab called computer name make a note of the displayed name. Then from the other machine type
Right click on the printer that should be displayed in the explorer window and click connect. This should then connect this device to a printer name on the other machine and allow remote connection.
Remember the other machine will only be able to print when you machine is ON.

Ok I was with you all the way to the info below. I got lost there.

Then from the other machine type

#10 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:06 AM

Each Machine has a name that is given to it on original install. This means that you can connect to a machine by looking for it's name on the network rather than it's IP address. The \\Computername\ it a link to the machine over the network.
This will show all the shared files and shared devices on offer from that machine.
The other machine I mentioned was the machine that is needs to connect to the printer remotely.

So if we take your machine name as "chugg" and call the other machine "Assistant".

Share the printer from the printer settings on Chugg. Goto Assistant click Start->Run-> then Type \\Chugg\
This will show the shared printer. Right click the printer and select connect. This will have that printer as a local printer on the Assistant Machine.

I hope this helps
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#11 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Damn I still cant get this to work. I tried to follow your instructions but Im not very computer literate.

#12 Cooldan1

Cooldan1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

Hey chugg... I had this same situation with an old boss friend of mine before I setup his wireless router. He is/was able now to print from any computer in his office. It takes a bit of time enabling shares and what not, but the easiest way I found, was setting up a simple usb print sharer.

What it is, is a usb device that has multiple inputs to the usb device, and one out put to the printer. Then when you want to print, it acts like a print server. You may have to sometimes click over the switch, but with it being easily accessible on the desk, just push the button and print. Easy as pie.

I just did some research for you, it's a printer usb switch. Here's a nice cheap one:

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=2052744

Enjoy! =)

#13 halo32007

halo32007

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:36 AM

Ahhhh....I had this problem before too. In my house, there are 3 laptops, and everytime we had to print, we had to hook it up to the printer manually.

When we got the wireless linksys router(set up by geeksquad, who else)
we could print wirelessly, as the printing instructions would go through eachc computer wirelessly, but the network did take some time to set up. We had to connect each computer to the other, because of the order of the connections. We could've just connect them in every single way, but that would be more complicated and longer.

#14 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:58 AM

Thank you for your advice. But I know that there is way to do this just by sharing the printer and using my linksys router. I just need the right person to read this thread that knows how. It would probably save me at least an hour per business day if I could figure this out.

#15 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:07 AM

So how far through the instruction did you get to. If you can give me info on your setup I will try and help.

A few things I will need to know

1. Is the printer set to be shared.
2. Do you know the machine names of the PC's

if you could get this info then I will be able to do a full step by step with screen shots on how to set this up.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users