Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Partition Is Not Functioning :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

I have winxp.... and I have

C: -> BASIC drive 80 GB
E:
F:

E and F drives are both part of the same hard drive that I installed internally (two different partitions). I've had those drives for like 3 years now.

And it's a 250GB drive where E=125GB and F=125GB

Now today when I opened the computer, you know with bios when you first start - it started to "clean" up the F Drive... BUT when it goes to step 3 out of 3 it stops..... so I just rebooted and skipped that part

For some reason my F drive is malfunctioning... I tried to defragment it by start => run => cleanmgr and selecting F Drive I get

Disk cleanup cannot clean up drive f:\.
Make sure that there is a disk in the drive, and that the drive door is closed

Anywayz it is taking ages for my computer to load and I can't even click on "My Computer" 'cause it takes ages to load and then it freezes... there is some IMPORTANT stuff on my F drive so I don't want to completely erase it :thumbsup:

Any ideas?

Edited by Yunalesca, 31 March 2007 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

Open up disk management, Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

Look at the partitions in that drive tell us what info is listed, like if it lists the file system format like FAT32 or NTFS.
Posted Image

#3 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

Okay when I wrote the message I was on serious crack

Anywayz here's the screeny
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8987/untitledwq3.jpg

I'll explain it better - when I take out the second hard drive (has D and F drive and is NOT the primary one) the computer loads and runs real fast

When I do put it in, I got through a "check" with 3 stages and the 3 stages complete real fast (of Drive F it says) the last stage is a verification - but then it won't move beyond that. So I reboot again from the start and skip the check - but then it takes ages to load the computer... ones it loads it's quite fast again but if I do anything that involves going to "My Computer" or any other related folders it takes ages and freezes

Now my D and F drive have lots of important info so I dun want them wiped out... if there is a way around it I hope... eitherway the screenshot says that Drive D = 100% but that can't be true... does this mean it's wiped out? And if so anyway to bring it back?

However, even though I can't access any drives from the "My computer" area - if I go into another folder let's say "My Documents" and in the address bar type in C:\ AND F:\ it works... but D doesn't...

Edited by Yunalesca, 31 March 2007 - 10:00 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

Download a free diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of the hard drive and see what it has to say.

Start backing up that data now - just in case the drive is starting to fail.
Check to ensure that the jumpers (IDE drives) are set correctly).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

Your D: partition's filesystem appears to be lost, you may be able to recover it using TestDisk, a free util for recovering lost partitions.

Try that one first and see if it brings back the partition at all. If it doesn't there are some other tools I can suggest, though some aren't free.

I would try to retrieve the data first and then run a check on whether the drive is failing or not like usasma says. It could just be a file system corruption, but the way you're saying it slows down your system it sounds like a failing drive, you might start looking at a replacement.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users