Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Skipping/choppiness While Gaming

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

Hello all. I have wireless currently at my house for my computer with a family computer directly connected into the modem. We are supposed to have 1mb DSL from TDS Metrocom. With casual surfing and downloading there is no noticeable lag what so ever but when I start playing a game (namely Counterstrike 1.6) I get random choppiness and skipping. The funny thing is my ping never raises what-so-ever. My computer is a Dell E510 with a 3.0ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, and a Geforce 7600 GT video card. It seems as if the game holds on for a second and won't let me forward and then comes back. This happens every 10 seconds or so and really throws off my game. I have been trying everything I can think of and no tech has been able to help me. I am using an Actiontec modem and a Dell adapter. Any sort of help would be awesome. Thanks Bleeping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

is the gaming computer wireless?
if so, can you plug it in your router to see if that makes a difference? that will give us a more shaped idea where else to look.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Maabsta

Maabsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:40 PM

Yeah the gaming computer is wireless and I don't have an option to use a wire. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:51 AM

Hi Maabsta, I play a bit of CS from time to time , what you can do is first when you launch a game go into the game options and put a tick next to console. Know you go back into your game bring up the console which is the ~ button and type in to the console net_graph 3 then you will get FPS, ping, packet loss ect.ect while playing a game. So now you can see where the trouble might lay.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

good idea monty. if yourself or someone else dosen't have that option in a piece of software, check out>>

www.speedtest.net
giver you UL,DL and ping to a server near you.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 Maabsta

Maabsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, I've done ping tests. I'm getting the speed I'm supposed to but I still chop in games. This is why I'm convinced its wireless. In CS I always have net_graph 3 up and rarely get any loss or choke or anything. It is just a skip in the game. It's pretty constant. My ping doesn't even go up when it happens. It is the weirdest thing and I can't seem to find a solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users