Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

real player

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:04 PM

hullo, again...remember me?

you were so completely helpful in cleaning out my hijackers...i thought maybe you could help me with my latest "problem".

recently i updated my real player....and to my horror, it seems to have wiped out everything in my windows media...when we click on songs, they appear to be gone..although i'm sure they're not. can anyone there explain how to make windows media my default again..AND show me how to get back all that music?

it also wiped out kazaa...which my 19 year old son is having FITS over...lol...and i promised him i'd ask how to straighten that out, as well.

thanx again for your help..you guys are the greatest!

nmdamgud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:45 PM

When you say wiped out, do you mean you can not find the songs that you were previously using, or that the programs do not work?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:52 AM

Looks like you got caught in the media player war when installing RealOne, and somehow made it your default player, or at least didn't discriminate which files RealOne was to open.No doubt it changed the file assocations set up for your RMP files.
I have two options for you:
1.Try this path on WMP: Tools>Options>File Types. Select the files from the list that you wish WMP to open. Press OK when finished. I do not have RealOne (for similar reasons) running on my computer; you may have to take a similar action on it to change the file associations.
2. Find the old RMP files (most likely in one or two folders. Right click on one of these and choose "properties" and then change the "open with " for it; there should be a box to check somewhere at the bottom of the box that lists applications that says "always use this program to open files of this type"; check this box and save.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:39 PM

ok, Jgweed, damguds son here. Now, I tried what you said and nothing. Now the prob I'm having is this. When I open my folder that contains alll my music, I have nothing saved in media library cause i'm too lazy... Now, when I select all and tell WMP to open it, it will only play the first song on the list. Now the problem with Kazaa is that when I tried to DL a song, nothing would happen. I'm guessing that my kazaa isn't set up for the 'newer' version of RealOne. So I got frustrated and uninstalled kazaa. It's gone. I'll just install it later when this prob is fixed.

Grinler, I have no idea what she was talking about when my mom said they were 'whiped out.' She doesn't play any music on the comp. It's all mine, So I guess that she wouldn't understand, or that I explained it poorly lol. And I know People say kazaa is trouble. But out of the hundred or so songs that I've dled it has yet to give us a bug or ANY type of problems. My mom managed to get us the last bug...

Rayn

damgud's son

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:55 PM

Maybe, and this is not my area of expertise, you need to build a new playlist.
Regards,
John

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:32 PM

ok, Jgweed, damguds son here. Now, I tried what you said and nothing. Now the prob I'm having is this. When I open my folder that contains alll my music, I have nothing saved in media library cause i'm too lazy... Now, when I select all and tell WMP to open it, it will only play the first song on the list. Now the problem with Kazaa is that when I tried to DL a song, nothing would happen. I'm guessing that my kazaa isn't set up for the 'newer' version of RealOne. So I got frustrated and uninstalled kazaa. It's gone. I'll just install it later when this prob is fixed.

Rayn,

You should create a new account so we can differentiate between you and your mother :thumbsup:

As for the music that your having problems with, let me see if I understand correctly. You have your music stored in a folder on your hard drive, for examples sake, in c:\music.

You select a few songs and then do what? Are you selecting queue-it up or are you selecting add it to playlist?

Explain the process please?

#7 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:21 PM

grinler:

just wanted you to know that i'd rather he NOT create his own account quite yet...your site recognizes me on here..i'd like to keep it that way, as he's getting his own puter soon...to take to school with him. he has FINALLY decided to go to college..amen. at which point, either he'll take this puter...and i'll get the new one (ha ha) or he'll get the new one! rayn did dictate the described problem below:

i open the music folder, select edit, select all, and then go into file: play w/media player. i do NOT have a play list in media player. after selecting play w/media player, only the first song on the list will play. the real one player won't play anything.

thanx again for your help,

nmdamgud

ps i keep popping into chat to see if anyone is there...it's always empty! where is everyone???

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:57 PM

Try this. Goto http://www.microsoft.com/mediaplayer and install the latest version.

Then give it a try

#9 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:40 AM

been there, done that...didn't work. tried to uninstall real player..it tells me that "uninstall component is missing". this has now become a personal war...and i'm losing. we can see his whole list of songs, but media won't recognize them. they didn't show up in recycle, so i'm fairly certain they haven't been erased; however, they do seem to be winning a game of hide-n-seek.

any other suggestions, oh great ones??

thanx again,

nmdamgud :thumbsup:

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:02 PM

Right click on one of these files you can see but cannot play. Find "Properties." on the drop-down menu that will open. What is noted for "kind of file" and "opens with." Post this information.
If you right click on this file, and use "open with" and the choice box shows the appropriate program and you hightlight it, will it play?

(I am not using XP, so the descriptions/paths might vary)
Thanks
John

#11 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:44 PM

hullo, guys,

when we go to properties, it opens with media player. however, it will only play the file you open, it will not play more than one at a time. we must individually open each one, etc.

i wrote real player and asked for uninstall instructions, and followed them: presumably real player has now been deleted. you suggested we update media player, which i have done..it did not help. now what? any new suggestions? i'm tearing my hair out...at this rate, i won't have any to turn gray!!

thanx again for your help...

damgud
:thumbsup:

#12 Mac

Mac

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:26 AM

Why is it that when I try to download a video onto my computer from the internet with windows media player, real play or quick time.. I have to use Save as target, I right click to Save as target , and it dosent light up so I can download it and save it on my computer.. I have tryed everything, redownload the players and it still dosent work.. What am I doing wrong.. I have Windows XP.
Thanks,
Mac

Edited by Mac, 17 August 2004 - 10:27 AM.

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:32 AM

It may because it has Some type of protectionm on it. Some video's you cant right click and save as, see if you can right click this one and download as ,,, go to this site and right click street climb(its a little down the page) and save as! This one does not have any protection on it

http://weblogs.asp.net/jezell/archive/2004/03/30/102142.aspx

#14 Mac

Mac

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:37 PM

Save Target as didn't come up... Save as did.. I could use Save Target as up until about aweek ago.. I have contacted the company and they said its not them.. or something is wrong with my computer that wont let me download the videos in Save Target as...

#15 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:12 PM

Hmm it seems your pc is not readin it as a link! Let me look into it ok! Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users