Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do L Format Hp Pavilion 763.it?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pixie63

pixie63

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to format an HP Pavilion 763.it? Operating system Windows XP.

I want to get it back to its 'factory settings' but l don't know how. The pc's full of viruses and won't let me do anything.

I can't find an option for formatting the hard disk, just one to 'go to a restore point'. But that's no good because the point that it gives me is far too recent and the pc won't let me restore anyway.

The Norton antivirus has run out by the way.

I appreciate any help in restoring this old heap. It's in such a bad way that l almost feel sorry for it...
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

Use the F10 key when the computer has the HP startup screen ( Press F10 For recovery) should show iin the lower right corner when the recovery program has started, select the advanced options this should format the c partition and reset the software to the factory setup once this is done, make the recovery disks.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 pixie63

pixie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Thanks! I'm going to try this immediately...

#4 pixie63

pixie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

It won't ask for a cd will it? I don't have one.

Anyway l've stared the process and it's doing something....
Unfortunately it gave me 2 options, l hope l chose the right one. It's not in English so l can't even tell u which option l chose...l think it's system recovery.

Will it remove indefinitely any nasty viruses lurking?

Got a feeling it'll ask for an XP cd though soon...L'm sure the computer came without an actual cd...

Thanku for your help!

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

If you did the hp recovery correctly, the virii should be gone:, however I recommend that you immediately download an antivirus from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

make sure you uninstall norton, live update, etc before you install an antivirus. once you have done that install and update the antivirus that you selected, run a full system scan, and then do all windows updates.

#6 pixie63

pixie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:53 AM

I got to the end of 'system recovery' but when l press the 'end' button, nothing happens. I just get the egg timer forever. I even left it for 2 hours and nothing happened.

So l turned the computer off (by pressing the button and keeping it pressed) then turned it on again and tried doing the system recovery again, actually l've tried it 3 times now.

Each time l turn on the computer, l get a blue screen and words telling me it's checking files.
Then it takes me straight the the end of system recovery where l last left off, at the end.

I tried rebooting it by pressing F8 and it said that l couldn't because Windows hasn't been completely installed.
It then took me back to the 'end' page of the Windows XP install.
I press the 'end' button and get the never-ending egg timer.....

I guess that until it accepts that 'end' button and Windows starts, it hasn't finished a complete install.

I don't know what else l can do... :thumbsup:

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

when the system recovery has finished you should see two radio buttons

{restart}{shutdown}

If the process that you are in does not show these after sometime, try the restore again

here are the full instructions from HP

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...450&lang=en

#8 pixie63

pixie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for the document! I'll see if l can resolve the situation this evening.
I don't see two buttons at the end, just one.
Anyway, thanku so much for all your help!

#9 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

I have no idea what a screen looks like during the HP recovery, but maybe you can't see the buttons because they are off the screen. Does your monitor have a button on it that you can use to adjust the display...up, down,right, left, etc? That might solve your problem.

One time on a dual Linux/Windows install, I thought I was missing part of the boot menu. So I just sat there letting my computer count down and boot to the first choice if that's what I wanted. I could see the second choice okay, if that's what I wanted instead. Then the little bulb went off in my head.

Sure enough, I used the button on my monitor to drop the screen display down a tad and there was the first boot choice! lol!

Sometimes it's the simple things....

#10 pixie63

pixie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:58 AM

No, doesn't look like it.

I just get a page saying that the restore is complete and to press 'end' to start using Windows. (There's a little man standing there pointing at the 'end' button. He's starting to get on my nerves..)

I press 'end' and just get the infuriating egg timer....
I've got a horrible feeling that the part of the hard disk dedicated to the restore has been corrupted in some way.
Can viruses get into the 'safe' part of a pc?
If they can then what's the point of having it?

I'm cross that l didn't get a Windows XP disc with the computer when l bought it. Supposedly l wouldn't need it, but it's not looking that way.
Is it legal to 'borrow' a friend's Windows XP disc and install it on my pc? I immagine that it's not allowed. I've never had to install an operating system before.

Now l come to think of it, l didn't get a Windows XP disc with my Sony Vaio either....
Now l'm using a different Vaio which came with Vista. I got the Vista CD....

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

Provided you have a valid product key it is not illegal to use your friends disk. The versions must match though (ie. XP Home or XP Pro).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 pixie63

pixie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

So if a friend has a 'shop bought' Windows XP (home edition in my case), l can install it onto my computer? Are you sure it's ok? I always thought that it wasn't allowed, or you can't install on more than 2 or 3 computers. I immagine that with something like Windows XP, it'd be easy for them to check up on you...!

I'm entitled to one anyway really, since l did buy it in the first place...it's just trapped inside an unwell computer... :thumbsup:

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

If you both have XP Home-full install, not upgrade, you can use his disk. You must use you CD Key, which hopefully you have written down or there may be a sticker on the unit
Mark

Moderator Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 April 2007 - 05:19 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:46 AM

The HP cd key on the side of this machine will only work with the hp restore disks. They can be ordered from HP.

Now l'm using a different Vaio which came with Vista. I got the Vista CD.

As far as the sony vaio is concerned:, you still must create the recovery disks. the disk that was included is an easy upgrade disk which will only upgrade to a version of vista at a higher price point than the one installed by sony.

As I have said many times before MAKE THE RECOVERY DISKS!!!!!.

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:48 AM

Further comment, yes, virii can infect the recovery partition, I have seen 4 recovery partitions that had infections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users