Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Speed

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Logix69

Logix69

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:13 AM

Can any one help me is there any software to boost the connection speed/download speed when downloading from a site it is downloading about 600kb - 800kb that is with a 7.2mb connection speed and when downloading from Azureus its only downloading at about 20kb i know its a p2p but is that speed right??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

you can use several tools to boost connection speed.

Use this tool to see what the actual speed of the connection is http://myspeed.visualware.com/

http://www.cybertweak.co.uk/ will let you alter settings it comes with presets

http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/ will find network settings that aren't helping.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

Download speed often depends more on the server than on the actual connexion. If testing the speed shows it to be normal, then what you are experiencing is not caused by a problem on your end.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

just done a internet speed test at http://myspeed.visualware.com/ and is is telling me that i have a download speed of 4.26mb and an upload speed of 385kb but my computer is telling me it is connected at 6.7mb and some times it says 7.2mb does that sound right???

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

That speed seems to change quite a bit, as jgweed said, it can depend on the server.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

Most internet connections are asynchronous, meaning they have a lot more download bandwidth than upload bandwidth. P2P is synchronous, which means the download speed is determined by the upload bandwidth of the people who have the file being shared and how many other people are downloading it. What I'm getting at here is that the bottleneck isn't in your end but in the uploader's.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

Cheers Mr Alpha Nice Computer Spec..

Dont Know if you can help but when i click onto firefox or IE,MSN it says there is no connection and when i do a check a yellow triangle with a ! in it comes up next to DNS & Key ports what is this and what does it mean?

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

It means that your browsers can't send or receive data by the looks of things,
What firewall are you using? it may be that its blocking the ports used, can other apps access the net like skype or messenger programs?

It is possible to flush your DNS cache and renew your IP address, which might solve the problem.
Go to start then run and type cmd then type these one after the other...(watch the space)

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

so if i do what you just put i wont have any trouble connection to the net after that then? all applications needing acces to net are given access and i use azureus which downloads fine when my browsers cant access net??

Edited by Logix69, 02 April 2007 - 03:52 AM.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

The ipconfig steps might work, the way I see it, is that either your firewall is blocking ports 80, 53, which affects your browsing and DNS. Or your DNS cache has got some problems, doing those steps will clear out the cache so it can start again.
If you download the advanced widows care tool, it could fix network problems.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

the ip setting works bloody well pages just come up staight away thanks alot m8t does it matter how many times you do this? just wondering if it happens again can i do it then?

#12 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

connection has bleeped up again turned off firewall ok so far but could there be a prob with my fire wall then?

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

the ip setting works bloody well pages just come up staight away thanks alot m8t does it matter how many times you do this? just wondering if it happens again can i do it then?

It is possible to do this as many times as you want with little or no side effects.
What firewall do you have?
Regards,

Alan.

#14 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

windows standard is there any better ones out there for free?

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

There are many better firewalls around, http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ is a good firewall that is free, make sure you turn off windows firewall when installing comodo.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users