Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:42 PM

Recently my songs have been losing their creation dates, so when i try to sort them by it, some won't sort to their correct dates. This started happening with media player 10 so i switched back over to media player 9 and all was fine but then the songs started doing it again. Thanks for the help, Stephen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:42 PM

Do allthe dates change to the same date or random dates. Are the dates old or current?

#3 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:33 PM

On the songs that still have the dates...they show the dates when they were created. So I guess to answer your question, the songs that are losing their dates don't show anything at all, just blank, and the songs that still have their creation dates show the dates that they were created.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

That makes no sense...i have never heard of a file losing its creation date. Are you sure there is not date associated with these files?

#5 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:17 AM

I was listening to some songs earlier and their creation dates just simply were gone before my eyes. I noticed that this was only happening to songs that I had played a few songs back. Then I was looking where i have my songs stored and in the folder they still have the creation dates.

Folder Picture

Windows Media Player Picture (end result of sorting)

Edited by Fireworkman04, 12 January 2005 - 01:17 AM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:55 PM

When you restart wmp are the dates back?

#7 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

Nope, they remain gone

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:22 PM

I am stumped on this one.

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:12 PM

I may have a way to get them back.

I would like for you to find the folder they are located in, and post a screen shot of when you right-click and select properties please. If you do not mind, include one of a properly working file, and another showing the blank area.

Something tells me that it is registry related. Have you ran any registry cleaning programs lately? Even if they are set to run on a schedule, those would count as well.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

Got this from WMP9 Help:

Changes made to files when media information is updated
When you copy tracks from audio CDs or when you copy other types of music files to Media Library, the Player automatically obtains related media information if the Update my music files (WMA and MP3 files) by retrieving missing media information from the Internet check box is selected and your computer is connected to the Internet.

You can also manually add and edit media information.

Media information is stored in both the files and the Media Library database.

When the Player automatically retrieves media information, it may make the following changes to your files:

By default, missing media information is appended to any existing media information in your audio files.

Media information is added to the files in the form of tags. For example, the Player may add the following tag to an audio file: <artist name=Beethoven>.

Album art is added to files and music folders in your My Music folder.

The date modified is changed when media information is edited or obtained.

In addition, if the Rename and rearrange music using media information check box is selected, changes to media information in your files may cause the files to be moved to another location in Media Library and to another location in the folder to which the files were copied.

Might have something to do with it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:13 PM

Alright, I tried messing with those options in wmp in properties about what you were talking about Leurgy and tried about every possible combination and none of them changed.

*forgot to answer your question*
No I haven't ran any registry cleaners or anything that I can think of.

Now for you JEservices, here's the file properties side by side. On the left is the one is working properly and on the left the one that's not.
Properties Pictures

Edited by Fireworkman04, 13 January 2005 - 12:24 AM.

#12 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

Alright, here's something that might have to do with it, maybe. anyways i created a windows user account for myself about a week or so ago and yesterday i was on the original user account doing somethings and i opened up wmp and all of the songs stillh had their creation dates on them and when i played some of them their dates stayed unlike on my account. maybe this shows something??

But upon further inspection, it's sorted by aquisition time and not creation date.

Edited by Fireworkman04, 14 January 2005 - 08:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users